• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get money out of an agency that claims to have 'problems'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panzerbjrn View Post
    I recently worked three weeks for an agency called La Fosse which are now claiming that they have problems that are preventing them from paying me.

This has been going on for a bit too long, and I would like to report them for either fraud or theft..
    I stopped reading at this point. Why do people say stupid things like this. Surely the first step of any problem is to understand the situation and knee jerk comments like shows you clearly don't. Same when people go straight for the 'sue them' line. Just ridiculous
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I stopped reading at this point. Why do people say stupid things like this. Surely the first step of any problem is to understand the situation and knee jerk comments like shows you clearly don't. Same when people go straight for the 'sue them' line. Just ridiculous
      And if you had read further, then you would have seen that other people had ideas which I have taken on board...

Comment

Thanks, after googling dunning I found a thread that seemed similar to my circumstances, and Safe Collect was mentioned.
        I'll give them one last warning, and then I guess I'll have to go down that route.
        OK, giving you the benefit of the doubt, is this the first payment you would have recived from them? Secondly when was the payment due, are we talking days later, weeks or months?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Opt out of...?
          The EU working directive? If so yes, otherwise I'm not sure what you mean...

The client have paid the agency, timesheet was signed and all that. I was the only contractor working through them, and I don't know any other contractors working for the agency anywhere.

The number of contractors that know little about running a business, let alone running a contracting business is staggering. A licence should be required.

The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 as amended.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            OK, giving you the benefit of the doubt, is this the first payment you would have recived from them? Secondly when was the payment due, are we talking days later, weeks or months?
            First payment as it is the first time, and last, time I've worked for them.
            It was due the first or second of June (The exact date escapes me).
            It might not seem like that long, but during the contract they had already started feeling dodgy, meaning that on their portals I had problems that were apparently 'unusual', they didn't answer emails/phones (OK, one guy was good at that, but he also couldn't help).
            After giving them some benefit of the doubt, I have had enough of their 'We're having a problem paying into your account', when I know previous agencies never did and my new one which pays weekly can as well.

Comment

Does anyone have any advice on what to do in situations like this?
              The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013 - Pay on Time should explain everything that you need to do.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2013 - Pay on Time should explain everything that you need to do.
                Thanks, I'm looking at that just now.

Originally posted by tractor View Post

The number of contractors that know little about running a business, let alone running a contracting business is staggering. A licence should be required.

The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 as amended.
                TBH, I don't *want* to run a business, but I do want to be contracting, so unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of choice, I *was* happy with my umbrella company until HMRC started taxing people retroactively. There's far more hassle involved with having a ltd company than I like. But I am in danger of derailing my own thread...

Comment

First payment as it is the first time, and last, time I've worked for them.
                  It was due the first or second of June (The exact date escapes me).
                  It might not seem like that long, but during the contract they had already started feeling dodgy, meaning that on their portals I had problems that were apparently 'unusual', they didn't answer emails/phones (OK, one guy was good at that, but he also couldn't help).
                  After giving them some benefit of the doubt, I have had enough of their 'We're having a problem paying into your account', when I know previous agencies never did and my new one which pays weekly can as well.
                  How long was the contract and did it end well? Did you leave or were you pushed?

When I worked for them last, not so long ago, their portal was fine. Only issue was chasing up the client authoriser (as is usual) but once that was done, the authorisation and confirmation email chain did exactly what it said on the tin.

Payment basis was always paid monthly, 10 working days after EOM. You may have had different terms, but they are not known for being that accommodating.

Comment

TBH, I don't *want* to run a business, but I do want to be contracting, so unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of choice, I *was* ignorantly happy with the tax avoiding scam I was using until HMRC started taxing people retroactively. There's far more hassle involved with having a ltd company than I like. But I am in danger of derailing my own thread...
                    ftfy as if you had been using a proper umbrella company you would have had nothing to worry about regarding HMRC....

This post was added to emphasis the fact that you have nothing to worry about if you use a proper umbrella.... Sadly there are still tax scam merchants who pretend to be umbrellas to steal money off the unwary...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

TBH, I don't *want* to run a business, but I do want to be contracting, so unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of choice, I *was* happy with my umbrella company until HMRC started taxing people retroactively. There's far more hassle involved with having a ltd company than I like. But I am in danger of derailing my own thread...
                      The two go kind of hand in hand and that is one of the reasons contracting is in such demand by clients. It's a little like having a nice car but if you don't like driving, you have to pay a lot of money for a chauffeur.

Having made a decision to go Limited, you have no choice to take the responsibilities that go with it seriously. Otherwise you are putting your own financial wellbeing at risk.

Comment

Working...
                      X