• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caunce O'Hara Legal Expenses Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiddlersGreen View Post
    It might be out of date but check point 23 and follow the link, and then 2.2:
    https://www.ipse.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

People read the Ts&Cs?!?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      The Articles can't be out of date by definition...

Anyway, you join as a person - it's reasonable that IPSE know they are dealing with an individual freelance contractor (as far as they are able to) - but the coverage is provided to YourCo since that is the legal body that is under threat from HMRC's predations and who will pay the bills should you lose a case. YourCo can (indeed should) pay for the membership and everything is geared around YourCo.

And as I said, you personally wouldn't need any of this if YourCo didn't exist and/or you weren't working as a self-employed gun for hire, which is why it is not a personal benefit.

There are 23k members now; none have ever been challenged over the status or scope of their membership.
      Just to be clear, you are confirming that companies cannot be members of IPSE.

Comment

Are you a current member FG? Is this a decision whether or not to renew?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Are you a current member FG? Is this a decision whether or not to renew?
          No, I'm not a member. I was just trying to decide between QDOS and Caunce O'Hara. I might not even bother with either.
          Last edited by FiddlersGreen; 9 June 2015, 12:51.

Comment

The Articles can't be out of date by definition...

Anyway, you join as a person - it's reasonable that IPSE know they are dealing with an individual freelance contractor (as far as they are able to) - but the coverage is provided to YourCo since that is the legal body that is under threat from HMRC's predations and who will pay the bills should you lose a case. YourCo can (indeed should) pay for the membership and everything is geared around YourCo.

And as I said, you personally wouldn't need any of this if YourCo didn't exist and/or you weren't working as a self-employed gun for hire, which is why it is not a personal benefit.

There are 23k members now; none have ever been challenged over the status or scope of their membership.
            22,999 FTFY

The reason no one ever believes the membership number bandied about is because IPSE/PCG won't actually publish them.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              22,999 FTFY

The reason no one ever believes the membership number bandied about is because IPSE/PCG won't actually publish them.
              They are, but it's a moving feast. In any one month there will be roughly 2000 renewals being processed so any point-in-time number will be out of date as soon as it's published.

Last internal headcount I saw was a shade under 21k, but that's 9 months out of date. Also that's memberships not actual people and there will be a fair number of two-fee-earner companies in there, meaning actual nose count is probably around 23k now.

And including assorted affiliated organisations in terms of actual people directly represented, as opposed to paid up members, it's around 67,000.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just to be clear, you are confirming that companies cannot be members of IPSE.
                malvolia/TheFAQQer - have you checked?
                Is your IPSE membership for you and not your company?
                And if your company pays for it then shouldn't it go on your P11D and self assessment return?
                And the payment is taken from company post tax earnings and no tax relief?

Comment

And if your company pays for it then shouldn't it go on your P11D and self assessment return?
                  Yes of course I've checked. IT's a personal membership but since it is wholly and exclusively for the business - on the basis that I wouldn't need if I didn't have MyCo - it's fully justified for MyCo to pick up the bill.

It has to be personal because the case will be against you, not YourCo.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I see it as being for you as a director of yourCo.

So the invoice has

Mudskipper
                    MudCo
                    MudCo Address

Which my accountant thinks is fine and doesn't need to go on the P11D. This matches IPSE's own advice.

https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefi...faqs=3#qt-faqs

I suppose it's similar to my phone contract in that it is MyName, MyCo.

Comment

Yes of course I've checked. IT's a personal membership but since it is wholly and exclusively for the business - on the basis that I wouldn't need if I didn't have MyCo - it's fully justified for MyCo to pick up the bill.

It has to be personal because the case will be against you, not YourCo.
                      In that case you still need to put it on your P11D and self assessment?
                      https://www.gov.uk/expenses-benefits...report-and-pay

Comment

Working...
                      X