• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT and IR35

Hi Guys,

I'm new to contracting via limited company so excuse if i'm asking silly question. My contractor hasn't registered me for VAT as according to him if when you submit VAT every quarter it's more likely you'll get in to IR35 investigation. Is that correct?

Instead he'll be operating me via two companies, which i know will have more operating cost plus i'll lose up to 5% from VAT and all of it is just to avoid IR35 investigation.

Thanks,
    F.

Not being VAT registered would not have any impact on your IR35 status.

Also two companies to carry out the same trade would seem more suspicious and that you are doing this to avoid VAT, along with some other potential issues.

For example which company will you take a salary from, also HMRC could take the view that it is an artificial arrangement for the avoidance of tax, namely the VAT.

Comment

I assume you mean accountant, not contractor.

If the post reflects the advice you are getting accurately, you need to, very quickly, ditch your accountant. You are getting duff advice, which is sailing close to tax evasion.

Comment

Google "disaggregation of trade for VAT"

Comment

Holy crap. Vat being a factor for IR35. That's a new one. Have you done any reading up on IR35 at all???

You are ultimately responsible for your company and it's finances so I'd pull your finger out and start understanding the basics... Quickly...
          Last edited by northernladuk; 9 April 2015, 16:30.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Holy crap. Cat being a factor for IR35. That's a new one. Have you done any reading up on IR35 at all???
            Miaow
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Does your accountant wear a Stetson?
              Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by farazfastian View Post
                Hi Guys,

I'm new to contracting via limited company so excuse if i'm asking silly question. My contractor hasn't registered me for VAT as according to him if when you submit VAT every quarter it's more likely you'll get in to IR35 investigation. Is that correct?

Instead he'll be operating me via two companies, which i know will have more operating cost plus i'll lose up to 5% from VAT and all of it is just to avoid IR35 investigation.

Thanks,
                F.
                Your accountant is an idiot. Get a new one. Preferably one that actually understand contracting.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
                  Does your accountant wear a Stetson?
                  Narp - a Fez...
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Thank you guys for valuable advises, apologies yes i meant accountant

I've already got paid on couple of invoices without VAT, is there a way to raise VAT for those invoices or it's too late?
                    I'll raise my next invoice with VAT and ask him to register for VAT asap.

Thanks,
                    F.

Comment

Working...
                    X