• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie (Ltd or Umbrella dilema)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie (Ltd or Umbrella dilema)

All - As title says, I am newbie to contracting and would really appreciate a direction from someone who is guru in this field.

Briefly here is the scenario -

Expected daily salary of £175
    Expected monthly travel expense - £300
    Contract length - 9 months

Of course, duty of confidentiality prevents me to go any more deeper but I hope someone can please shed some light here. I have ran several comparisons on some websites but answers aren't transparent as I would expect.

Over to you Gurus :-)

I am not really sure what you're asking but I am assuming that you are interested in which vehicle will give you the best return? The answer is - it depends. If you are outside IR35 IR35 Legislation - Advice, Help and Information for UK Contractors then you would be financially better off running your own Ltd Co; if you were inside IR35 there would be little difference in take home between Ltd or umbrella. With a Ltd Co you take on the responsibilities of running a business and you will need to be disciplined with your finances so that you can meet your tax liabilities; with an umbrella you are an employee and your taxes are taken care of through PAYE. If you have a Ltd you can decide which accountant you want to use - if you take the umbrella route you may find that your choice is dictated by the recruiter. There are pros and cons with both options but for a first time contractor in your sort of situation a brolly is probably the best option for the first few months at least.

Just going back to the money side of things - whichever route you decide to take beware of providers offering you high take home pay (80%+) - they are typically tax avoidance schemes that will probably land you in trouble with those lovely people at HMRC. If you take the umbrella route - your promised take home pay should be the same whichever company you use - the only difference will be their margin (and the level of service that you get)
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Go Umbrella. BTW I do know one that can help you at a very good price.
      FTFY
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        FTFY

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Have a look at this site for some proper information on Brollies..

All Umbrella Companies Are Equal - Straight Talking Umbrella Companies

Brollies are a good idea if you are just finding your feet and have other things to concentrate on rather than wading through the mire of starting a LTD. You could go brolly for a couple of months and then when you are comfortable switch to LTD. Not quite the most efficient way but better than messing up your accounts from day one. A few months of a long contracting career isn't a big deal. I did and I know a couple of others here did.

Just check the expenses thing through. I am confused about the situation at the moment but there could be a problem claiming expenses if you only do a single assignment through a brolly.

Take the time to read up on IR35, 2 year rule and a host of other legislation that affects you in the mean time. Plenty of links to the right to read first -->
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NLUK is right - if it is your intention to only have a single assignment through an umbrella company it will be viewed by HMRC as a permanent workplace and therefore no tax relief on travel and subsistence is allowed

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

On that level of income, I'd recommend a brolly.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thank you all, much appreciated. I have spoken with couple of accountancy firms and there has been clear take away from those calls, LTD is a better option. Next move is to speak to Brollies and I am sure the outcome will be otherwise this time around :-)

Am I okay to ask/list the company names on the forum? (I've met my quota for stupid Qs)

Comment

Working...
                X