• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying Company Money into a Personal Account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D3K View Post
    As the title says, can it be done?

My problem is that I've been at work for 6 weeks without being paid, with money being held by the agency. This is due to after being jerked around by TSB for a few weeks I discovered I don't have sufficient proof of address to meet their requirements and so have had to restart the process with another bank.

I had the idea to pay into a personal account (it's empty at the moment so money would be completely separate) and write it up as a loan from the company for book keeping purposes.

My agency is refusing to do so saying its illegal to pay into a personal account. As a director of the company, I would of thought I'd have final word on how the money is to be paid and it shouldn't be up to them.

Further, (and this is probably a bit of a stretch) I note that I did not "opt-out" and so under the regulations, I would think they're acting illegally by withholding funds.

Can anyone offer any advice? Especially if anyone's been in the same situation.
    You can open a business account Ltd Co immediately at
    Cashplus Prepaid Credit Cards, Prepaid MasterCard & Debit Cards UK it costs £40 no other charges for transfers etc
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      Nope.

She needs to be your lawfully wedded wife. No such thing as Common Law Wife in the UK. Fire your Accountant and get her off your Share Register.
      Absolute rubbish. Two people running a business together can be shareholders without any implications. As Mal says, "income shifting" (ie settlements legislation) usually only applies when spouses (unless the exemption is applicable), minor children or trusts are involved. Not between partners or other family members, or friends and that's if there's even a settlement in the first place, which there almost certainly wouldn't be if the shareholders are both actually actively involved in the business.

If settlements legislation applied as you seem to think it does, how would families or friends be able to start a business together and share the profits without being caught?
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 15 March 2015, 00:42.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Absolute rubbish. Two people running a business together can be shareholders without any implications. As Mal says, "income shifting" (ie settlements legislation) usually only applies when spouses (unless the exemption is applicable), minor children or trusts are involved. Not between partners or other family members, or friends and that's if there's even a settlement in the first place, which there almost certainly wouldn't be if the shareholders are both actually actively involved in the business.

If settlements legislation applied as you seem to think it does, how would families or friends be able to start a business together and share the profits without being caught?
        Think about what you just said in context please?

OP, don't listen to me, since I am just an old fool. Ask your Accountant instead.
        Last edited by Scruff; 15 March 2015, 08:26.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          You can open a business account Ltd Co immediately at
          Cashplus Prepaid Credit Cards, Prepaid MasterCard & Debit Cards UK it costs £40 no other charges for transfers etc
          Anyone done this ?
          If so any opinions/views on the process ?

cardone also apparently do a similar instant business account..
          https://www.cardonebanking.com/busin...k-account.html
          (they claim "Complete your application online in less than 10 minutes with no branch visits required. Most accounts opened same day.")
          Last edited by SunnyInHades; 16 March 2015, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
            Anyone done this ?
            If so any opinions/views on the process ?

cardone also apparently do a similar instant business account..
            https://www.cardonebanking.com/busin...k-account.html
            (they claim "Complete your application online in less than 10 minutes with no branch visits required. Most accounts opened same day.")
            Why don't you just go to a normal bank in person with the relevant ID? It will be cheaper.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Decided not to push it with the agency, as I've finally managed to get proof of address out of my personal bank on the third attempt.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              OK, confused now. Being a shareholder does not mean you have any responsibility for company finances, that is strictly for Directors (and Co Secs if you have one). So there is no reason for her to be involved with the company bank account.

And income shifting is between "connected persons" where you retain control of the income. Partners don't count, especially if they use their own bank account.
              Yeah, she's a director as well but according to the banks they need ID/proof of address of anyone who holds a 25% or more stake. I didn't understand it either. The unwillingness of the banks to take my money is confounding me somewhat.

Comment

Yeah, she's a director as well but according to the banks they need ID/proof of address of anyone who holds a 25% or more stake. I didn't understand it either. The unwillingness of the banks to take my money is confounding me somewhat.
                Get her to transfer 30% of the company to you. Open bank account. You transfer 30% of the company back to her.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Get her to transfer 30% of the company to you. Open bank account. You transfer 30% of the company back to her.
                  Might have to look at this. Whole thing is an absolute nightmare. After initially telling me it'd take 3-5 working days for a response, Lloyds has now informed me it will actually me 14 working days. Being easter next week that means I'm unlikely to get a response for another fortnight. If they then turn down the proof of address I've provided (which wouldn't surprise me frankly, despite being a stamped bank statement which they've listed as acceptable) then I'm back at square 1.

I'm running seriously low on funds and while I can transfer more from Australia, the exchange rate is rubbish at the moment and I really don't want to take this path when I'm owed so much in pounds.

Someone's mentioned previously that HSBC can open a bank account on the spot. Does anyone known of any banks that do the same? Looking at investigating a few options.

Comment

Might have to look at this. Whole thing is an absolute nightmare. After initially telling me it'd take 3-5 working days for a response, Lloyds has now informed me it will actually me 14 working days. Being easter next week that means I'm unlikely to get a response for another fortnight. If they then turn down the proof of address I've provided (which wouldn't surprise me frankly, despite being a stamped bank statement which they've listed as acceptable) then I'm back at square 1.

I'm running seriously low on funds and while I can transfer more from Australia, the exchange rate is rubbish at the moment and I really don't want to take this path when I'm owed so much in pounds.

Someone's mentioned previously that HSBC can open a bank account on the spot. Does anyone known of any banks that do the same? Looking at investigating a few options.
                    I've banked the company with HSBC from the start. Never had any problems, does what it says on the tin: took me less than an hour to get the initial account opened (a long time ago though...) and stuff like online and credit cards within a week or two.. Get an appointment with one of their business account managers and I suspect they'll sort you out very quickly.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      I've banked the company with HSBC from the start. Never had any problems, does what it says on the tin: took me less than an hour to get the initial account opened (a long time ago though...) and stuff like online and credit cards within a week or two.. Get an appointment with one of their business account managers and I suspect they'll sort you out very quickly.
                      Same, I've been very happy with HSBC - always helpful on the phone, good Internet Banking, usable mobile app, helpful in branch etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X