• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    That 1000+ MP users havent joined up does surprise me. You never get 100% take up but you'd think 70% take up would be in order with so many facing big tax bills. Maybe they've just put their heads in the sand or maybe they are free loading the advice here in which case, Id support the move to an NTRT only members forum and this just becomes a place holder.

Is there no way NTRT can work with MP to get MP to forward 'invitations' to join? Some type of 'advertising' would surely bring in more people.
    They might view it as similar to a "been mis-sold PPI" type thing...? And asking people for money is never easy. A majority membership would be a remarkable achievement let alone 70%.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty15 View Post
      .............. but it needs to be pushed through MontP.
      If only it were that simple Scotty.

MontP cannot be aligned with, or support, our lobbying group. We are a 'victims' group paying for professional support in pursuit of our grievance. We are taking on the 'Establishment' and need all the help we can get.

MontP have a completely separate perspective as the developer and provider of a tax planning scheme that has been retrospectively labelled illegal.

I do however agree that it would be useful to have a client list from MontP from which NTRT could publicise the level of exposure that non-members currently have and may not be aware of.

That client list however is probably protected data and not readily available outside of MontP.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        They might view it as similar to a "been mis-sold PPI" type thing...? And asking people for money is never easy. A majority membership would be a remarkable achievement let alone 70%.
        It is if you're HMRC !!!

We're asking for £300 towards legal costs. In many cases HMRC are demanding 6 figures.

Don't trust NTRT? (Even though it's not for profit run by fellow victims)

At the end of the day, it's their choice.
        Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 16 March 2015, 14:53.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we have a cut-off date where we don't take any more members.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Scheme Users

I get the above comments, however, how can you ban people from joining NTRT, if they were never aware of it in the first place?

Likewise I stand to loose all, and contribute to NTRT too, and have continually bombarded my MP.

Us Oilfield Trash (pet name), have never been involved in these IT forums like you guys down South, in that you all set up the forum etc., and appear to know of each other, which is not the case with us. MontP did come up here and presented their tax planning arrangements to the interested parties. However, you will find that most contractors in the O&G move around, 6 weeks here, 3 months there, 5 months overseas etc., etc., following the Exploration and Drill Bit, hence don't stay in touch the same.

However, were they aware of this I am sure that most would want to contribute to this grave injustice, as I said I am reaching out to those that I know were in the scheme, but there is a lot out with my sphere, so there must be a way to get in touch with them!

Comment

This forum is not hard to find with Google and a few keywords.

montpelier scheme contractor retrospective apn

Perhaps we need to fly a plane with a banner over the North Sea.

Comment

Reaching Out

So, we (NTRT members) need to find a good way of reaching out then.

Obviously MP's client list is not going to be available so it may be down to us attempting to make contact to our contractor buddies of the past, pulling their heads out of the sand and pointing them in the right direction.

From memory the scheme was pretty much word-of-mouth so we probably all know at least one or two others who were in the scheme. If half of us found just one non-member and they sign up, it would be a fantastic result.

Comment

Banner

DR, To be honest you might need to do something like that, and I would also include, Africa, Middle East, Asia, North & South America, Russia etc....
                  not everyone can be bothered scouring the net after a 12 hour shift!

Comment

Interestingly, we've had 3 new members join this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
                      So, we (NTRT members) need to find a good way of reaching out then.

Obviously MP's client list is not going to be available so it may be down to us attempting to make contact to our contractor buddies of the past, pulling their heads out of the sand and pointing them in the right direction.

From memory the scheme was pretty much word-of-mouth so we probably all know at least one or two others who were in the scheme. If half of us found just one non-member and they sign up, it would be a fantastic result.
                      TV advert here we come! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X