• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    If you are in any doubt that HMRC opened an enquiry for a tax year send this letter to HMRC
    DR is there a specific address / person at HMRC we should be writing to, or just our local office?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
      You needed to transfer your house five years ago for this to work. Obviously doesn't work for cash in bank or in limited company now.
      They will not be able to seize assets from your limited company as it is a separate legal entity. They will only be able to seize the shares that you personally hold in it. I guess that means if you are a 100% shareholder, then HMRC would be in control of your company and all its assets. However maybe you could sell those shares beforehand to a family member in order to raise some cash towards your HMRC commitments...?

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
        DR is there a specific address / person at HMRC we should be writing to, or just our local office?
        Probably best to send it to the office that issued the Closure Notice.

Or your local tax office would do.

You could even pick a random tax office.

Comment

in true grand national style

i put a few quid on

'Court by Surpirse'

seemed the most apt ... sadly 50/1 outsider

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
            What we need is an HMRC mole to spill the beans on what is really going on.
            This is a very interesting suggestion. If there was some way we could find out who works in the department, we could probably contact them via social media to see if they are will to give us further information of corruption. Can be done anonymously.

Some of them must have human compassion? (Wishful thinking)

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
              This is a very interesting suggestion. If there was some way we could find out who works in the department, we could probably contact them via social media to see if they are will to give us further information of corruption. Can be done anonymously.

My ex worked for HMRC when we were married. They have no compassion. Its guilty until proven innocent.

Unless one of us applies for a job in the right department...

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
                I haven't received one either. Two of my colleagues have though; interestingly although they were both in the scheme for the same years, the APN warning letter quoted different years for the two of them! Reading some of the other recent posts here, Hector seems to be making a right pig's ear of this entire exercise (well there's a surprise!) and the grounds for subsequent complaint and legal action appear to be increasing exponentially! Through in the George argument and I think the HMRC machine will go into melt-down!
                I know one colleague that was on the scheme that has received his full four years, one that has received none and one that has received one out of three years. So what happens if they miss a year or don't APN you at all? I guess you are not going to ring up and complain

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlyer View Post
                  I know one colleague that was on the scheme that has received his full four years, one that has received none and one that has received one out of three years. So what happens if they miss a year or don't APN you at all? I guess you are not going to ring up and complain
                  My ex, when working for HMRC, did set tax owed to zero for a load of people.

One idiot did complain. Ruined it for loads. Muppet.

Comment

Message from NTRT Chairman

The HMRC admin machine is in chaos, examples include

1. Enquiries completed and DTA exemptions accepted

2. Hundreds served with non-valid discovery notices

3. Non valid enquiry notices

4. Doctored enquiry notices (suspected fraud)

5. Letters not sent/received (fabricated?)

Since NTRT have committed to taking test cases to the FTT it will be interesting to see how HMRC and the Tribunal react when faced with such evidence

All these will be addressed in more detail in the next NTRT newsletter.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

They're no different from you and me except they have all signed the Official Secrets Act.

releasing confidential information will bring loss of job, loss of freedom (jail time) and a massive fine.

So, 50,000 contractors? £100 each. Is that enough?
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X