• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting flat while working away from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting flat while working away from home

I have a 2 year contract 100 miles away from our family home. I don't fancy living in a hotel for 5 days a week and would rather rent a flat.

Do I claim the rent as a personal expense from my Ltd? I won't be able to pass it onto client but their day rate is good enough to cover it. If I claim as an expense is it a tax deductible expense?

Alternatively, can the Ltd co rent the property for me and again treat it as an expense before tax?

With thanks

The best thing to do is talk to your accountant.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheMrs View Post
      I have a 2 year contract
      24 Month Rule :: Contractor UK

Dangerous ground. Anyone know what the rule is for exactly24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

I believe a day less is fine, 24 months is no, it's not a temporary workplace, so no expenses....

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

That's why I said talk to your accountant.

This is a link for a well known accountancy firm linky
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Do you expect the contract to last longer than 24 months? If not, then I would ensure your contract is dated such that expires before 24 months (even if it's just one day) so you aren't caught by the 24 month rule.

You should then be able to rent a place tax free - either paid by YourCo or paid personally and reimbursed - it makes no difference (needs to go on the P11D either way). But make sure you fully understand the rules regarding travel, subsistence and accommodation when working at a temporary workplace.

Also bear in mind that the moment you know the contract will last more than 24 months, i.e. an extension, you will need to stop claiming.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              I believe a day less is fine, 24 months is no, it's not a temporary workplace, so no expenses....
              The legislation explicitly says "more than 24 months" which to me means exactly 24 months is fine, but making it one day less to err on the side of caution and avoid any possible arguments seems reasonable to me.

Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003

Comment

Whether you go for personal expense charged back to your or your pays directly it will work out the same. When I did it I did personal expense as you will tend to find it difficult to get a landlord/estate agent to accept yourco as the legal tenant (they run a reference check on you which includes ccj's etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  The legislation explicitly says "more than 24 months" which to me means exactly 24 months is fine, but making it one day less to err on the side of caution and avoid any possible arguments seems reasonable to me.

Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003
                  Given hmrc's stated aim of tackling avoidance and, trying to blur the lines with evasion, Id suggest wording a contract to be one, two or three days etc less than the 24 month rule would be playing into their hands.

Of course some may see that as ultra cautious and claim the 'regs state that.....' etc. Each to their own. I'd suggest people do not have contracts worded to be very close to or on the boundary for such things.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Given hmrc's stated aim of tackling avoidance and, trying to blur the lines with evasion, Id suggest wording a contract to be one, two or three days etc less than the 24 month rule would be playing into their hands.

Of course some may see that as ultra cautious and claim the 'regs state that.....' etc. Each to their own. I'd suggest people do not have contracts worded to be very close to or on the boundary for such things.
                    If there as an intention for the contract to last longer than 24 months in the first place, then I'd agree but as the proposed contract is for 24 months anyway, then I don't think its unreasonable.

HMRC can argue all they like of course but I'd imagine the onus on them would be to prove that there was an expectation of the contract to last longer than 24 months if you have a signed contract stating less. That wouldn't be hard of course if you were pulling a fast one (a quick email to ClientCo would probably drop you in it).

On the other hand, a 24 month contract is largely meaningless given you can be binned at any time more or less so you could equally argue why sign such a long contract - why not 6 months or 12 months?

Comment

Working...
                    X