• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 query/Concern(Please Help)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 query/Concern(Please Help)

Hi All,
    I was a permanent employee for a consulting company XYZ and used to work for one of their client.
    I have left that job as I was looking to work as a contractor.
    Now I have got a contract offer for a different consultancy company (name removed to stop you getting spotted...) but their client is same and I'm working on the same project.
    For the time being I'm contracting through Umbrella company but would like to set up my own limited company.
    Is there any concern regarding IR35 in this case? Your help is highly appreciated.
    Thanks.

<admin note>I have removed the client name in case it comes back to bite you...</admin note>
    Last edited by dk2011; 16 January 2015, 14:23. Reason: Removed company name for getting spotted (Thanks a lot Admin)

Depending on contract wording and actual working practices of course I wouldn't be too worried about the IR35 position.

You're working for a different supplier in a different position, it just happens that it's the old client and project. Unless the new role and your old employed position are essentially the same it looks to be on safe ground.
    I'd be far more concerned about your old employer making a fuss over non compete clauses in your old employment contract.

Comment

Many many thanks TykeMerc ! Have a nice weekend !

Comment

How long ago were you a permie? Is your handcuff clause going to be a problem or raise any eyebrows or has sufficient time passed?

As long as you get your contract reviewed, understand IR35 and don't shaft yourself through working practices, and get IPSE+ membershi then you will be as safe as anyone is IR35 wise.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi northernladuk , Handcuff clause isn't an issue.

Thanks for guiding me towards ipse(https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefits) . I'll go through the same.

One more related query . If a particular contract falls under IR35 , Does that mean from there onwards company will operate only under IR35 for all subsequent contract ?

Comment

Originally posted by dk2011 View Post
            Hi northernladuk , Handcuff clause isn't an issue.

Thanks for guiding me towards ipse(https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefits) . I'll go through the same.

One more related query . If a particular contract falls under IR35 , Does that mean from there onwards company will operate only under IR35 for all subsequent contract ?
            IPSE membership isn't obligatory, there are some of us that regard the organisation as less than useful (even actively dangerous to the contractor community it claims to represent), that being said their IR35 insurance is cheap.

IR35 has factors that relate to the contract and the conduct of that contract, if the conduct of the client tends to be inside on one contract there's a fair risk it may well be on subsequent contracts.

Comment

If a particular contract falls under IR35 , Does that mean from there onwards company will operate only under IR35 for all subsequent contract ?
              No.

IR35 is assessed on a contract by contract basis. If you have concurrent contracts, it's possible to have one inside IR35 and one outside at the same time.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hi ,
                I was suggested to buy insurance from QDOS and this is what they have to say regarding my situation.
                This sounds strange.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I’m afraid as it currently stands we would be unable to offer you the Tax Liability Cover Insurance given your end client has remained the same and we currently do not have enough information.

Ultimately, it is the connection between end client / yourself (or the limited company in the case of a contractor) that HMRC are interested in, so that the “Middleman” has changed wouldn’t make much of a difference.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                In this forum i was suggested to Join IPSE+ . Does that protect me for IR35 as well. Could you please advise.

Comment

Hi ,
                  I was suggested to buy insurance from QDOS and this is what they have to say regarding my situation.
                  This sounds strange.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I’m afraid as it currently stands we would be unable to offer you the Tax Liability Cover Insurance given your end client has remained the same and we currently do not have enough information.

Ultimately, it is the connection between end client / yourself (or the limited company in the case of a contractor) that HMRC are interested in, so that the “Middleman” has changed wouldn’t make much of a difference.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  In this forum i was suggested to Join IPSE+ . Does that protect me for IR35 as well. Could you please advise.
                  If you're asking whether IPSE+ is an insurance product, it isn't. It will, however, provide legal support in the event of an investigation, which is, arguably, adequate protection.

FWIW (probably not much ), I don't immediately agree with QDOS, although it's their prerogative, and they do mention insufficient information. You're not working via an agency, but via a supplier, and the end-client in this case is the supplier, not their client (i.e. the client's client). That being said, IR35 is based on a hypothetical contract to begin with, so they could potentially "look through" the arrangement to define the end client as they choose (although I think this is questionable, and perhaps of questionable value too).

Comment

Well kudos to QDOS. I thought they just insured every man and their dog with no risk factoring cause it's easy money.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X