• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rent a Room and limited company contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unclear from the OP whether the "tenant" will be Yourco, or a "normal" human?

It does need to be an individual. If it is, then great, you can receive rent of up to £4,250/year without suffering any personal tax, and it won't impact on what dividends etc you can take.

If you were anticipating the tenant being Yourco, afraid you can't. See here.

Comment

I asked my accountant as we have a lodger and was told it's pretty transparent - it doesn't affect your taxation. My wife and I own our house and IIRC she doesn't even have to declare her half (she doesn't do a SATR as she has a proper job).
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hi all and thanks for the responses!

For what it's worth the original opinion I queried was from my accountant! Perhaps I need a new one! I took the opportunity to clarify with HMRC via their online chat session (HMRC providing actually useful support!) and got the following:

Q: Hi. If I rent a room and choose to use the rent a room scheme the income (up to £4250) is "tax free". Does this income still count re: the higher tax threshold? I.E. If I earned £41,865 (assuming my personal allowance is £10,000) do I now have to pay higher rate tax on £4,250 of this as a result of earning the 'tax free' money through the rent a room scheme?

A: Hi, because the rent a room relief amount of £4250 is tax exempt, it would not be included in calculating your total income for higher rate tax purposes.

So it's all good and I've set my accountant straight too!

Thanks again!

Comment

Makes sense. I got confused because I'm sure in some places it's referred to as tax "relief" which is of course not quite the same thing as tax "exempt".

Comment

I imagined, as have some other contractors I've spoken to incidentally, that given that the rent a room allowance provides
            Never take financial/tax advice from other contractors. They are a set of money grabbing mercenaries that don't know their arses from their elbows.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X