• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Guilty as charged! - Updated May 2016 - NOT GUILTY!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I think HMRC would be crazy to go after PCG members, to be honest, since they have professional advice available to them right from day one.
    My untested theory is that when the initial request for a PAYE inquiry or similar (which will lead onto a full blown IR35 investigation) is answered by PCG, HMRC will either put the case on the back burner until it's forgotten about or give it to a junior member of staff to give them the experience of being bum raped

Comment

Originally posted by Munchers View Post
      I'm not prepared to name accountants as I'm not entirely sure this was their fault - I think they acted in good faith.
      Your assessment is right - generic support pimped by my accountant. And yes looking at changing accountants after this.
      You appear to have come to realise that your accountant wasn't quite as blameless as you first suspected. Worst case, they may have got commission from the sale, or other indirect inducements - ask yourself - why they were pimping you the policy in the first place.

Generic insurance is pretty much useless for contractors. Setting aside IR35, there is little you can be investigated for, which would consume much accountancy time to sort out. VAT/PAYE/CT - either you have paid the right amount, or you haven't - contractor accounts are simple enough such that it doesn't take much time to work out who is right - travelling expenses would be the only other thing which could be awkward.

In fact, I would say generic insurance was worse than useless in your case. It probably gave you a false sense of security, meaning you might have neglected to take other precautions which might have helped you.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        You appear to have come to realise that your accountant wasn't quite as blameless as you first suspected. Worst case, they may have got commission from the sale, or other indirect inducements - ask yourself - why they were pimping you the policy in the first place.

Generic insurance is pretty much useless for contractors. Setting aside IR35, there is little you can be investigated for, which would consume much accountancy time to sort out. VAT/PAYE/CT - either you have paid the right amount, or you haven't - contractor accounts are simple enough such that it doesn't take much time to work out who is right - travelling expenses would be the only other thing which could be awkward.

In fact, I would say generic insurance was worse than useless in your case. It probably gave you a false sense of security, meaning you might have neglected to take other precautions which might have helped you.

Yes the accountant is at fault, though I suspect through incompetence and ignorance rather than malicious. Hense why I reconsidering his position.
        The main point, as you say, is we thought we had professional support available and it turned out to be a false sense of security - fortunately we realised just in time so we sacked them and employed a firm called Tax Enquiry Solutions who, at short notice and cost, managed to get us back on track.

Comment

Yes the accountant is at fault, though I suspect through incompetence and ignorance rather than malicious. Hense why I reconsidering his position.
          The main point, as you say, is we thought we had professional support available and it turned out to be a false sense of security - fortunately we realised just in time so we sacked them and employed a firm called Tax Enquiry Solutions who, at short notice and cost, managed to get us back on track.

Good luck.

I'd be asking about their IR35 experience, if it were me, since they don't mention IR35 anywhere on their website.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Good luck.

I'd be asking about their IR35 experience, if it were me, since they don't mention IR35 anywhere on their website.
            Nothing about corporate structure, company details, an 0845 number. I would be doing a little more diligence. They may well be above board and effective but I would do a little checking.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              Nothing about corporate structure, company details, an 0845 number. I would be doing a little more diligence. They may well be above board and effective but I would do a little checking.
              I agree, having been left high and dry by original consultant we contacted Bauer & Cottrell (via this site). They gave us good advice but said it was too late for them to get involved, but at least they gave some good pointers. My partner found this other firm and she decided to use them - and they produced a comprehensive response. Time will tell whether it was good enough.

Comment

I agree, having been left high and dry by original consultant we contacted Bauer & Cottrell (via this site). They gave us good advice but said it was too late for them to get involved, but at least they gave some good pointers. My partner found this other firm and she decided to use them - and they produced a comprehensive response. Time will tell whether it was good enough.
                Well, good luck with it all, I hope it wasn't too late. I would be interested in the outcome so don't forget your reporting duties

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  Well, good luck with it all, I hope it wasn't too late. I would be interested in the outcome so don't forget your reporting duties
                  No problem.

Comment

Good luck.

Exactly what I thought. Your tax isn't in question, your IR35 status is. The result will dictate how your money is taxed.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Exactly what I thought. Your tax isn't in question, your IR35 status is. The result will dictate how your money is taxed.
                      And I am lot wiser today.
                      I think they did a good job and if you want to view I'll happily share and accept comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X