• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Guilty as charged! - Updated May 2016 - NOT GUILTY!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munchers View Post
    ... I just wish we hadn't taken the insurance that gave us the first 'tax consultant'.
    Which was with who, may I ask ?

Boo

Comment

And I am lot wiser today.
      I think they did a good job and if you want to view I'll happily share and accept comments.
      Go on then - stick an anonymous version somewhere on the web and let's take a look at it - you never know, people here may spot something that others haven't.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Follow Up

For those who remember this thread I thought I'd provide an update.

Having gone back and forth between our advisors and HMRC (hope I got this right this time ) and generally getting nowhere, I am now responding to around 80 questions from HMRC on our IR35 status, as we refused to meet them to discuss it in person.

Painful.

Comment

Having gone back and forth between our advisors and HMRC (hope I got this right this time ) and generally getting nowhere, I am now responding to around 80 questions from HMRC on our IR35 status, as we refused to meet them to discuss it in person.

Painful.
          I hope it works out for you.

In the interests of forewarned is forearmed, are you able/prepared to share those questions?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            I hope it works out for you.

In the interests of forewarned is forearmed, are you able/prepared to share those questions?
            1. WHAT... is your name?
            2. WHAT... is your quest?
            3. WHAT... is your favourite colour?

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
              1. WHAT... is your name?
              2. WHAT... is your quest?
              3. WHAT... is your favourite colour?
              What is the flight speed of a swallow..?

Comment

Painful.
                Sorry for sounding negative but not meeting them and having to do the questions isn't going to help is it? There is some negotiation and argument in a discussion. A box ticking exercise is going to be pretty black and white and if they don't like the answer you are going to have spend an age trying to prove it. Look at the BET's for example. Nearly every contractor falls in to a high risk area doing them. Wouldn't meeting them have been more favourable or did you take professional advice?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Sorry for sounding negative but not meeting them and having to do the questions isn't going to help is it? There is some negotiation and argument in a discussion. A box ticking exercise is going to be pretty black and white and if they don't like the answer you are going to have spend an age trying to prove it. Look at the BET's for example. Nearly every contractor falls in to a high risk area doing them. Wouldn't meeting them have been more favourable or did you take professional advice?
                  Professional advice is never to do a face-to-face. Everything in writing, preferably through a third party and with expert advice on how to answer the questions, which has to be done.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Professional advice is never to do a face-to-face. Everything in writing, preferably through a third party and with expert advice on how to answer the questions, which has to be done.
                    This - you get the chance to perfect your answer, with the help of a professional, rather than accidentally saying something which comes back to haunt you.

If it's in writing, you can't then get into a he said / she said argument.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ah interesting. I thought refusal would be almost an admission so they come harder. Thanks for the info.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X