• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home router LAN ports all used, but I need another LAN port?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home router LAN ports all used, but I need another LAN port?

I guess there must be an easy way to add another couple of LAN ports onto my home router? All four ports are used but I need another one to connect a VOIP phone to. What's the easiest way to add more LAN ports to my router please? Thanks.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I guess there must be an easy way to add another couple of LAN ports onto my home router? All four ports are used but I need another one to connect a VOIP phone to. What's the easiest way to add more LAN ports to my router please? Thanks.
    A simple switch will do. Plug it is to the original router and put the phone and 1 other item into the switch.

Tenda 5-Port 10/100 Switch | Ebuyer.com have 1 for a £5 but no doubt other places will have them for similarish prices.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

EEE. I didn't know you could that. Handy. Actually with all networking products, like on that link, the descriptions are so incomprehensible it's hard to know what they do. "easy installation, stable performance and high forwarding rate" were the only bits I understood.

Can one stick them on the far end of an ethernet cable and split to two PCs?
      Last edited by xoggoth; 7 August 2011, 09:59.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        EEE. I didn't know you could that. Handy. Actually with all networking products, like on that link, the descriptions are so incomprehensible it's hard to know what they do. "easy installation, stable performance and high forwarding rate" were the only bits I understood.

Can one stick them on the far end of an ethernet cable and split to two PCs?
        Yep. Provided you don't start attaching switches to switches to switches you can use network switches to tidy up your network.

In your case you can change 2 long cables from pcs to router to 1 long cable, a switch connected to the router and two short cables connecting the pcs to the new switch.

Comment

Thanks a lot, that's great.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Yep. Provided you don't start attaching switches to switches to switches you can use network switches to tidy up your network.
            Any reason why you can't attach switches to switches to switches?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Any reason why you can't attach switches to switches to switches?
              Its because you are creating potential contention on that part of the network.

Imagine putting 7 servers on 1 switch and connecting 30 pcs via other switches on a single port. If they were all on a single switch they could ask for the data at full speed because they are not they share that 100mb line between 30.... machines.

Comment

I have two gigabit switches, daisy chained, with one attached to the broadband router. All works fine.

One switch is 8 port used to connect all my PC stuff, with one connection to the router.

The other is a 4 port switch, connected to the main switch, and is located near my TV to provide networking for my streamer and PS3.

If you have a recentish PC or laptop it's likely to have gigabit ethernet so worth paying a bit more for a gigabit switch, then you can transfer stuff around the network a lot faster.

It's piss easy to set up. Just plug in the switches and connect the network cables how you want them. They sort out all the communicating protocol bollocks without any user intervention or knowledge. If only networking was always this simple.
                Last edited by PAH; 7 August 2011, 11:57.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Its because you are creating potential contention on that part of the network.

Imagine putting 7 servers on 1 switch and connecting 30 pcs via other switches on a single port. If they were all on a single switch they could ask for the data at full speed because they are not they share that 100mb line between 30.... machines.
                  I wondered if you were going to say something about these cheap home switches not being able to handle the more complicated route to PCs that are more than one step removed. Though thinking about it I can't see why that would be an issue.

I remember having 30 PCs chained together on a 10-Base T coax cable. And we were happy*.

*Until it went wrong and then we were very unhappy spending hours going round trying to find the fault.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    If you have a recentish PC or laptop it's likely to have gigabit ethernet so worth paying a bit more for a gigabit switch, then you can transfer stuff around the network a lot faster.
                    Even if you only have one bit of kit with gigabit ethernet it's worth going for a gigabit switch, to protect your investment in the future. At the moment I am seeing quite a lot of the older 100Mb/s switches and routers on offer or still on shelves waiting to trap unwary customers. You need to look at the specs carefully.

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    It's piss easy to set up. Just plug in the switches and connect the network cables how you want them. They sort out all the communicating protocol bollocks without any user intervention or knowledge. If only networking was always this simple.
                    If I understand switches correctly, they will allow 2 system to chat to each other without sending that traffic to the rest of the network.

I witnessed a couple of network guys struggling with some Cisco managed switches the other week. The number of configurable options was quite fearsome...

They ended up putting the old ones back and taking the new ones away
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X