• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    At least you still have enough hair to warrant having it cut. I currently spend £6 having it cropped for there is sod all point doing anything else...
    Buy and learn how to use clippers.
    Get the wife to help, actually maybe don't, they can get a bit over keen
    (You could look like Turkey for Christmas if you are not careful )

Lucky me, firmly heading towards the 50 highway and always accused of using hair dye, very few greys.

Must be the relaxed contractor lifestyle that does it
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I started going grey in my twenties, and had pretty much completed the process well before my fiftieth birthday

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I started going grey in my twenties, and had pretty much completed the process well before my fiftieth birthday
        But....

You still have a mop though
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Getting my hair cut at all is traumatic enough. I doubt I'd ever fully recover if I subjected myself to the agony of shopping around
          Quite.

Zeity has used about 2 barbers in his time, the first one popped his clogs in 1968, so loyalty was transferred to the present establishment.

Harold was the chap who cut it for the first 30 odd years, with a chap named Ivor helping out when they were busy.

Since then there's been a fair number of apprentices and, following Harold retiring & then popping his clogs, his son Huw now runs the business.

Which, rather disturbingly, has become sort of unisex.

But fortunately the ladies bit is separate from the gents' bit.

Some 25 years ago, when Ivor was cutting my hair I suddenly realised that he was telling me that his son had topped himself & some scrotes had broken into the son's flat whilst the funeral was in progress.

Harold rapidly took over & Ivor went & had a cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Heh, heh, the best bite I have had all day .
            You are welcome.

Agreed.
            Its just I have had my best experiences (LMAO) with male hairdressers personally.
            Unless you are having a crop, it should take around 45-60 minutes to scissor cut and groom Male hair well.

As I said, I usually pay around £16 (which includes a £4 tip.)
            At some point I started asking people about their skills. Two of my ex-hairdressers explained they had been on specific courses to cut hair. As a result they had a good proportion of male clients. The male clients while they were charged less per cut turned up more regularly than female ones.

Oh and I have a habit of driving my hairdressers into other careers or retirement.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

But....

You still have a mop though
              Loads

Comment

I shall have my hair cut tomorrow.

Ready for the tedium of ZeitSis's wedding in Bristol next Saturday afternoon.

Which I'm not looking forward to at all.

Ho fecking hum.

And I just bet the trains to and from Bristol are screwed next Saturday.

Comment

Oh feck, just another 15 mins before the tumble drier stops and the washing machine is beeping at me already.

The joy of my life knows few bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You are welcome.

At some point I started asking people about their skills. Two of my ex-hairdressers explained they had been on specific courses to cut hair. As a result they had a good proportion of male clients. The male clients while they were charged less per cut turned up more regularly than female ones.

Oh and I have a habit of driving my hairdressers into other careers or retirement.
                    There are some great people out there, hairdressers, mechanics, plumbers etc you just need to search around.

Best bit is they may not be the absolute, skinflint, cheapest in money terms, but can often prove to be a lot cheaper in the long run.
                    Funny that

The good guys I know in those trades never complain about what they ultimately get paid, I know that for sure.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Porterhouse steak, chips, fried onion, and beans for dinner; and it was dead nice

I just went out the back to check that the main gate was locked. It was, and somebody has attached to the centre of it two copies of a notice written in marker pen on cardboard apparently torn from a box, one facing inside and one outside:

THIS IS NOT
                      FREE PARKING
                      DO NOT ENTER
                      UNLESS YOU HAVE
                      A KEY OR YOU
                      WILL BE
                      LOCKED IN!

Not sure what incident has provoked this, nor who was so provoked, but I endorse this message

Comment

Working...
                      X