• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Chippy, or maybe the Chinese, Vol. LXIV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Chippy, or maybe the Chinese, Vol. LXIV

Now I've got this lot done I can start thinking about dinner. The chippy, I think...
    • The Content Farm - "Informative articles about every topic, written by people with a passing knowledge." Excellent parody of those sites that consist of thinly-researched articles plastered with ads, designed solely to get traffic from Google.

• How to fake fingerprints - "In order to fake a fingerprint, one needs an original first... to retrieve someone elses fingerprint (in this case the fingerprint you want to forge) one should rely on well tested forensic research methods. Which is what's to be explained here." Handy hints on circumventing biometric systems from the Chaos Computer Club.

• Why Angry Birds is so successful and popular: a cognitive teardown of the user experience - "Over the past 30+ years as a consultant in the field generally known as human factors engineering (aka usability engineering), I have been asked by hundreds of clients why users don’t find their company’s software engaging... Surprisingly, it is a rare client indeed who asks the opposing question: why is an interface so engaging that users cannot stop interacting with it?" Charles L. Mauro examines the human factors that contribute to the enormous success of the popular game.

• Anatomy of a Crushing - Maciej Ceglowski (who has previously appeared in Monday Links with the tale of accidentally wandering into a top-secret aerospace research facility in Beijing, and with useful advice on eating steak in Argentina) details the engineering challenges he faced when his company, Pinboard, suddenly became the bookmarking site of choice for thousands of new users after the leak of a document suggesting Yahoo! might shut down delicious.com: "My Twitter client, normally a place where I might see ten or twenty daily mentions of Pinboard, had turned into a nonstop blur of updates. My inbox was making a kind of sustained pealing sound I had never heard before. It was going to be an interesting afternoon."

• The World's Most Complex Architecture: Cardboard Columns With 16 Million Facets - "Michael Hansmeyer uses algorithms invented by Pixar and painstaking handicraft to generate columns with dizzying detail." Bonus links: Hansmeyer's own site about the columns project and his gallery thereof.

• The worst program I ever worked on - "Most contract jobs fade pretty quickly in memory after the work is done, but some you remember for the rest of your life. This is one of the latter variety." Jacques Mattheij's software horror story.

• The Book Surgeon - "Using knives, tweezers and surgical tools, Brian Dettmer carves one page at a time. Nothing inside the out-of-date encyclopedias, medical journals, illustration books, or dictionaries is relocated or implanted, only removed." Awesome sculptures

• Life's Too Short for the Wrong Job - "I remember seeing this brilliant ad campaign a few years ago, but I only recently stumbled upon a full collection of pictures. This is hands down one of the most well planned and executed campaigns that I've ever seen." Awesome ad campaign for a German job site.

• Study of a Lifetime (PDF alert) - "In 1946, scientists started tracking thousands of British children born during one cold March week. On their 65th birthday, the study members find themselves more scientifically valuable then ever before." Brilliant article about the 1946 birth cohort study, the longest-running medical study ever undertaken.

• **** Yeah Internet Fridge - "Why doesn't my fridge have the internet yet?" Roo Reynolds curates a large collection of examples of fridges connected to the Internet. (Why do people have such an obsession with getting fridges online anyway?)

Happy invoicing!

The chippy! With your ticker.

I'd have a salad if I was you.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Salad?

I prefer food...

Comment

Or at least a pickled onion to boost your veg intake

That's absolutely lovely.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz;1302955[*
          The World's Most Complex Architecture: Cardboard Columns With 16 Million Facets - "Michael Hansmeyer uses algorithms invented by Pixar and painstaking handicraft to generate columns with dizzying detail." Bonus links: Hansmeyer's own site about the columns project and his gallery thereof.

Happy invoicing!

Oh this is DELICIOUS
          Cheers Nick another corker of a list
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Oh this is DELICIOUS
            Cheers Nick another corker of a list
            WPS
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

This always amuses me!

Things My Girlfriend And I Have Argued About

Comment

How to Bury a Hooker in the Nevada Desert | The Content Farm

Excellent!
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Someone go tell Wilmslow he needs to read this...

How to Get a Girl to Like You | The Content Farm
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

My first thought too.

(Good links BTW, as always)
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X