• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharia Law now operating in England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said that sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals under a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.

The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.
    Sounds completely reasonable to me. There must be dozens of similar examples of trade bodies acting as neutral arbitars.

No place in criminal law, but that's almost certainly sensationalist misreporting.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      Could a non muslim get a sharia divorce?
      Worth looking into...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Sounds completely reasonable to me. There must be dozens of similar examples of trade bodies acting as neutral arbitars.

No place in criminal law, but that's almost certainly sensationalist misreporting.
        WHS
        B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones
          <deleted>
          Last edited by NotAllThere; 15 September 2008, 11:39. Reason: No need for response
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Worth looking into...
            more benefits for men rather than being against?
            I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Is it Sharia law that allows them to cut the hands of thieves?

If so this will just mean a higher dependant population claming incapacity beneifts!

don't really know what I am talking about though

Comment

A little clarity

Seems we can all calm down a bit...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Pillock.
                  theres a few in here, this thread nicely outing them ...IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

It might be acceptable if Muslim women had any power to dispute rulings of Sharia courts, they do not. So women's rights, gay rights, secular rights, enlightenment values, western values are all eroded by this.
                    The complete moral relativism and cowardice exhibited by so many Brits makes me sick.
                    Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                      I would be concerned, for example, if a non-Muslim was put under pressure to agree that any dispute over a contract with a Muslim had to be resolved by a sharia arbitrator.

I would be alarmed if there was evidence that men were escaping prosecution for domestic violence because their wives were put under pressure to withdraw charges...

I am concerned to hear that, in an inheritance dispute, a sharia court might award larger sums to sons than to daughters — although I accept that a father could make just such a provision in his will.
                      Those would be my concerns as well. Also, if a father did make such a provision, it could perhaps over-ruled by British courts. In Europe you CAN'T be disinherited, unless you've brought shame on the family!
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X