• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“tier 1” work visas to double Downing Street announced

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Wow, that's wide open, looks like the Indian PM is going to get exactly what he lobbied for 8(?) or so months ago.

2000 guys more possibly contracting and undercutting rates.

Whats not to like

Maybe they are parachuting them in, in the hope they will fill the gaps in the PS.

A few years ago I came across an example, He had a dubious degree, CCNA certification and a limited company set up by his "agent". He was a lazy little c . He then got the push and panicked and was asking other contractors how he can find another connect.

PS: forgot to mention that he was always on about his entrepreneurial skills in getting his visa
    Last edited by Paddy; 16 November 2017, 15:59.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Wow, that's wide open, looks like the Indian PM is going to get exactly what he lobbied for 8(?) or so months ago.

2000 guys more possibly contracting and undercutting rates.

Whats not to like

Maybe they are parachuting them in, in the hope they will fill the gaps in the PS.
      I don’t think you’ve read the guidance notes, it’s an EXTRA 1000 split over various disciplines I think 200 for tech- but I forgot, they’ll all be bringing their extended families and sacred cow over too (copyright: The Daily Mail)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        A few years ago I came across an example, He had a dubious degree, CCNA certification and a limited company set up by his "agent". He was a lazy little c . He then got the push and panicked and was asking other contractors how he can find another connect.
        We had a small group that worked for one limited and shared PI insurance etc.

It used to be the case, that often these types of set ups leave and go back home, obviously not having paid everything they owe.

Don't know if it happens these days.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I don’t think you’ve read the guidance notes, it’s an EXTRA 1000 split over various disciplines I think 200 for tech- but I forgot, they’ll all be bringing their extended families and sacred cow over too (copyright: The Daily Mail)
          Fair enough, thanks, I was sounding a bit DM like then.

The thing related to this that really gets my goat, really gets my goat is 54% of secondary schools are not offering up Computer Science.

You couldn't make it up.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Fair enough, thanks, I was sounding a bit DM like then.

The thing related to this that really gets my goat, really gets my goat is 54% of secondary schools are not offering up Computer Science.

You couldn't make it up.

They don't have the teachers to teach it - and its actually a very difficult course compared to the older information technology one.

Entertainly at the school the twins go to only 2 girls do computer science in a class of 24 (out of 200 pupils in the year). Care to guess who the 2 girls are....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              They don't have the teachers to teach it - and its actually a very difficult course compared to the older information technology one.

Entertainly at the school the twins go to only 2 girls do computer science in a class of 24 (out of 200 pupils in the year). Care to guess who the 2 girls are....
              A problem with offering peanuts I guess.

When my Mrs. and I met, around 6 years ago, she had got to the final 3, out of 10,000 (!), for a Princes Trust, or some such, grant.
              You had to write a business plan which had to be tech based and attend various workshops with people prior to meeting the Board of Directors.
              If successful you got to go and work, fully funded, with various Silicon Valley institutions to try and build on your idea.

One of the things she had suggested especially given the Olympics etc. was to build on technical training, especially in East London.
              She then said that anyone, providing they have the aptitude and correct level of training can be good at IT.
              She's a good example of that having only being working in it for the last 12 years, before that she ran her own cosmetics business with her own products etc.

She ended up very disappointed, apparently they didn't like the criticism of the current status quo once she got in front of the board.
              They said they were already doing plenty in that area and the asked her why she wasn't already in business herself doing it.

To me it had to be her criticism of nothing being done currently, otherwise I cannot see why she made the final 3 in the first place.

Kind of explains where we are, i.e. nowhere, 6 years later
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

a 1000 if they are truly of decent quality is probably a bonus.

Better than the 10,000 self employed big issue sellers etc.

not all immigration is bad.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You beat me to it V. Highly skilled migrants that advance our technology are what we need, not hordes of car washers, café workers etc. that are just taking our economy backwards, do not begin to pay their share of government spending and place huge pressures on our housing, schools and other resources.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    You beat me to it V. Highly skilled migrants that advance our technology are what we need, not hordes of car washers, café workers etc. that are just taking our economy backwards, do not begin to pay their share of government spending and place huge pressures on our housing, schools and other resources.
                    Car washers are normally modern day slaves.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

54% of secondary schools are not offering up Computer Science.

Of those offering it maybe it's not that popular either. Overheard a woman on the train the other weekend going on about how her daughter had to go into the computer science class as her first choice wasn't available (presumably oversubscribed or she wasn't of standard), and as she hadn't chosen to take the class she was being ignored by the teacher so was unlikely to pass anyway.

Back in my day, at the dawn of home computing, there was a draw for the 30 odd computer studies places as nearly all the pupils wanted to go on it as it was so new. Some of the girls that made the cut seemed to spend lots of time doing ascii art from what I remember, maybe they could't get onto the art class.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X