• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wimbledon station commuters flee train in 'Bible' panic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It's a portmanteau of dumb+ass where ass is the American ass = British arse.

Furthermore, the biblical reference given is not use "ass" in a derogatory way. In the story, Balaam was rebuked for cruelty by a donkey who was trying to save his life. Numbers 22:21-38
    No, it is ass = 'donkey' or 'a stupid, foolish, or stubborn person'. The original meaning of the phrase within the bible is not relevant to its adoption as an insult. 'Ass' meaning donkey is a long-standing insult in British English. Enid Blyton was always using it, e.g.
    'Shut up, Timmy, you ass', said George.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      London train PANIC: Passengers jump on tracks to escape 'ranting man' | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Spot on..

"What a pathetic bunch of absolute snowflakes not confronting the man or restraining him as it seems he desperately needed help. Jumping off the train my backside."

"Why is it easier to force open the train doors and jump onto the track with live lines than it is to just whack the whacko?"
      I realise that you're a bit dim, but you do realise that trains are made of more than one carriage right? You do realise that if you're not in the same compartment as said nutter, and someone announces over the tannoy that there has been a bomb threat, you have to take that at face value.

Sadly I only have two balls and neither of them are crystal.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        A purposely made fireball (that could have been a full explosion), that caused multiple injuries........seriously - it's a shame you thieve the oxygen from amoebas-in-need
        Zombies could have taken over London, but it din't happen. Cyclists claim mass revenge on drivers, but it din't happen. Honestly the attention seeking luddites devoid of any reasoning capability is astonishing. Why did people not flee London on seeing the fire? After all the great fire of London was devastating.

Terror happens. It is part of our lives (thanks to our foreign policy). Stop pretending it can be avoided by taking some irrational action.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          These terror attacks are real and happening with alarming frequency down here in 'soft southern land'. We're all a bit on edge and rightfully so.
          Reading the bible allowed is a terror attack now?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Reading the bible allowed is a terror attack now?
            Have you always been homophonic?

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I realise that you're a bit dim, but you do realise that trains are made of more than one carriage right? You do realise that if you're not in the same compartment as said nutter, and someone announces over the tannoy that there has been a bomb threat, you have to take that at face value.

Sadly I only have two balls and neither of them are crystal.
              It is not a question of ball'age - simply a question of ones ability to reason. I'd not have jumped off the train myself, more likely put my fist in his throat.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Have you always been homophonic?
                What other adjectives do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  ...Sadly I only have two balls and neither of them are crystal.
                  So why do they make that noise when you run?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What other adjectives do you know?
                    'Cretinous'

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      'Cretinous'
                      Yeah, that about sums up them who jumped off.

Comment

Working...
                      X