• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, Who did you vote for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have voted but as the Tories lied in their last manifesto, I can't
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      I voted for the Common Good.

qh
      The common good? You mean for the many, not the few?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        I voted for the Common Good.

Best of a bad bunch of tw*ts.

As contractors were fecked either way tomorrow. (remembering it was a Labour Gov that brought in IR35 in the first place)

qh

Agreed, wondering if it is any point voting when I get home tonight

Easy to point fingers but as a contractor I can tell you it is nothing worse than picking up after another contractor that screwed up the work... you can promise that sure I will do this and that, throw money at it but if the work/project started bad you ****ed either way. You can try, that's all you can do. Oh... what about the tuition fees and so many other tulipfests Labour has done. People do forget too easily, too eager to blame the ones that can't solve the problem rather than the people that caused it the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
          This is indeed the meaning I was inferring. The appropriate balanced route appears to be nationalisation of infrastructure with private a balanced proportion of companies providing an end service, often with a basic national service available. This works in other rich westernised countries and ensures the two sectors are kept competitive.

I haven't seen any plan of full nationalisation of trains/energy/NHS/etc in any of the major party manifestos. With a much diminished NHS, I really can't see any evidence that Virgin Healthcare et al would be efficient at all. All the evidence points to NHS healthcare being fully nationalised being a good thing for our country.

The Tories of the present are not the Tories of the past in policies and rhetoric, although some die-hards still lurk around. The same applies to the current Labour and Lib Dem lot too; hell, even the SNP have changed their personalities and policies from what they were originally.

The main worry for me is that the Tories are trying to present a softer image, whilst simultaneously maintaining their usual borrowing preferences whilst milking the poorer in society of opportunities. And no, I don't believe New Labour of 1997 onwards did those people any favours either.
          So you missed the bit about bringing TOCs under state control once the existing franchises run out?
          And the advantage of a private healthcare provider is that if they waste money, it's THEIR money. If the NHS wastes money (and they do, by the truckload) it's OUR money.
          As long as healthcare is provided free via the NHS as currently, I am fairly relaxed at the idea of the NHS buying in services from private companies where it is financially advantageous to do so.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post

Easy to point fingers but as a contractor I can tell you it is nothing worse than picking up after another contractor that screwed up the work... you can promise that sure I will do this and that, throw money at it but if the work/project started bad you ****ed either way. You can try, that's all you can do. Oh... what about the tuition fees and so many other tulipfests Labour has done. People do forget too easily, too eager to blame the ones that can't solve the problem rather than the people that caused it the first place.
            Do you want David Davis or Sir Keir Starmer QC in charge of brexit?
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              The common good? You mean for the many, not the few?
              Nope. In my local constituency there's was a candidate which was basically saying "None Of The Above".

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                Do you want David Davis or Sir Keir Starmer QC in charge of brexit?
                Feck me you appear to have had a brain transplant.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post

So you conveniently forget that Labour had to spend money because the Tories were too busy giving tax breaks to their friends, rather than trying to spend money on the police, NHS, etc.

Labour made lots of mistakes, but the current government have done nothing to fix those mistakes instead, after 7 years in power, what have they done?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just noticed that my constituency has always been Tory since it was first created.

In 1885

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      that reminds me, working from home tomorrow = I'll be on me tractor cutting me lawn

Milan in "I can't read an I can't rite but I can drive a tratter" mode.
                      Tractor Beansey? I know you said you had "some land" I was expecting a couple of acres or so. Sounds like you have a wee bit more than that
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X