• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So much confusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    I think that is Sturgeon's game plan. To hold a referendum before the 2 years expires - on the basis that the EU would welcome Scotland as an independent country to keep the UK seat at the table, so it never left the EU and retains all the UK opt-outs...
    Would be such a smart move. Fingers crossed.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      And while the EU flatly said this wouldn't happen in 2014, maybe they might be more amenable this time around - particularly if it means kicking England in the process.

There's no legal framework for this to happen, so it would need unanimous agreement from the other 27 countries. You still have the Spain/Catalonia issue, so that's still a big ask. But it's still worth a shot in the dark.
      There's an important difference: IndyRef 1 was for no reason whatsoever, whereas there's a very good reason for IndyRef 2. They can't have people like Catalonia thinking they can call a referendum, get out of Spain but stay in the EU, but what's happening here is exceptional: a direct result of Brexit.

On the subject of the Euro there's entry criteria that obviously the UK has never been through. Would the EU waive that? Doesn't seem likely which means Scotland would need its own currency for a few years first. I think we've been here before. It's CUK 2014 all over again.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        All day yesterday we've been trying to make rational sense of the news without success. Our family is broken and our way life we've taken for granted pulled out from under our feet. Just profound sadness. I still can't quite believe it that the UK fell for the absurdities spouted from the likes of Farage, Johnson and Gove.

I'm lucky to be living in the EU but my heart goes out to all my friends and family that will now suffer in Scotland and indeed in the rest of the U.K. as a result of a weak prime minister who abdicated his elected responsibilities and asked a largely uninformed and misled nation to make this choice for him.
        What a pansy.

Yesterday was glorious.

Comment

Scotland voted to remain
          Did they have a different ballot paper in Scotland then?

Comment

Working...
          X