• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long breaks on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
    Even 6 weeks off can make onboarding in FS difficult.

Do you have a very friendly client? I have one where I have had a contract for years, yet sometimes I might go 6 months or more without actually doing anything for them... but I am still "Principal Consultant at xxx" and their supply chain will confirm that if asked.
    I have just had to provide, passport stamps, bank account copies or accountancy endorsements to cover gaps.
    Never had any issues, worked for IBs for quite a number of years now.

One of the reasons I went contracting was not to work all the time and to travel more.
    In the last 16 years, I have had around 4 years not working.
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 30 April 2016, 04:06.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I always tell clients that I've been in prison. Then we both laugh heartily and he says very comical when do you want to start.
      It works very well. Only problem is that I tend to dump the contract if their canteen food is not as good as I'm used to in Pentonville

Comment

Training / upskilling, doing a mates website, holiday. voluntary work.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          1. Don't put dates on LinkedIn
          2. Don't put exact dates on your CV.

No, I'm not advocating lying, I'm saying that the information you give out should be relevant to what you are looking to do. If you are looking for 6 month contracts then that's what you'll be applying for, not 1 year ones.
          But it may vary depending on what sector you work in.
          If they confirm, they will find out that you are lying.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            I have just had to provide, passport stamps, bank account copies or accountancy endorsements to cover gaps.
            Never had any issues, worked for IBs for quite a number of years now.

One of the reasons I went contracting was not to work all the time and to travel more.
            In the last 16 years, I have had around 4 years not working.
            I've got consistent gaps over the years, some deliberate (plan B), some just down to the market taking a while in a new country.

I have however avoided IB simply as I wouldn't be able to provide the travel stamps or the bank account copies prior to my move to cloggers. Closed my bank account in the UK, as it was online banking so have zero paper work from thatwhen I moved and when renewing my passport recently, when you got your new one you had to hand in your old one at the Embassy.

I really don't understand why a credit check and crb check aren't sufficient in these cases.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I've got consistent gaps over the years, some deliberate (plan B), some just down to the market taking a while in a new country.

I have however avoided IB simply as I wouldn't be able to provide the travel stamps or the bank account copies prior to my move to cloggers. Closed my bank account in the UK, as it was online banking so have zero paper work from thatwhen I moved and when renewing my passport recently, when you got your new one you had to hand in your old one at the Embassy.

I really don't understand why a credit check and crb check aren't sufficient in these cases.
              ^^ This.

Unfortunately in financial services companies and in particular the IBs they only want the right sort to join the club. As the spotlight has been on the sector for a number of years this may not be entirely unsurprising. They want to ensure that there's nothing untoward in your background that could come back to bite them.

It's not just long gaps on the CV that's a killer but also having a number of recent long running contracts, particularly if you're going for City based IB roles.
              Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 2 May 2016, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                ^^ This.

Unfortunately in financial services companies and in particular the IBs they only want the right sort to join the club. As the spotlight has been on the sector for a number of years this may not be entirely unsurprising. They want to ensure that there's nothing untoward in your background that could come back to bite them.

It's not just long gaps on the CV that's a killer but also having long running contracts, particularly if you're going for City based roles.
                I worked in the city for 13 years with nary a problem before moving to cloggers, no problems over here in the last 5 years either. Tbh, I never really fancied banking and my expertise is within insurance and since moving to cloggers I've branched out .
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  I worked in the city for 13 years with nary a problem before moving to cloggers, no problems over here in the last 5 years either. Tbh, I never really fancied banking and my expertise is within insurance and since moving to cloggers I've branched out .
                  It is totally ridiculous and actually easy to circumvent, as we all know plenty who run "consultancies" that could provide references.
                  Tbh, Holland looks good, high tax, but you can see where some of the money goes, at least.

Let's face it IBs can provide good rates, but even these are dropping, if you haven't got the right connections.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                    ^^ This.

It's not just long gaps on the CV that's a killer but also having a number of recent long running contracts, particularly if you're going for City based IB roles.
                    Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I've got some long gaps over the last few years - primarily by choice followed by a couple of months finding a role, got some 6 monthers, five monthers. I've pretty much only worked half the year for the last 2-3 years. I do feel that my CV has been insta-binned by agents who balk at it but when asked I just tell them that taking long breaks is one of the promary reasons I contract in the first place.

IMO it shouldn't require explaination or justification. It's a lifestyle choice - that's it. I've even directed some pimps/clients to the following article:

Top five regrets of the dying | Life and style | The Guardian

A palliative nurse who has counselled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. And among the top, from men in particular, is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'.
                      I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."
                      Now go outside and smell the roses.
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X