• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New car time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Okay, DTM...I have a 430bhp RWD and drive through a lot worse weather than the UK get, twisty roads and all and have no problems.
    Winter tyres?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Winter tyres?
      Of course but they're more for the cold rather than icy roads. Summer tyres back on tomorrow which means it'll probably snow (-3 forecast for tonight)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Of course but they're more for the cold rather than icy roads. Summer tyres back on tomorrow which means it'll probably snow (-3 forecast for tonight)

Well, keep your winter tyres on until it warms up a bit. Normal cutover is around +7C road temp. If you're still getting -3, then don't change.

Oh, and can you answer my earlier question of when a RWD car last won the WRC?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Well, keep your winter tyres on until it warms up a bit. Normal cutover is around +7C road temp. If you're still getting -3, then don't change.

Oh, and can you answer my earlier question of when a RWD car last won the WRC?
          I'm not sure it really matters, with UK road surfaces, potholes, grid lock and blanket speed cameras.

Lucky if you are even moving these days, let alone driving like a WRC champion.

Comment

Smart car driver

Comment

I really don't understand some people's obsession with RWD cars, I just don't. Had an old MX-5 and it was so twitchy in the wet I ended up selling it before winter as I wouldn't dare drive it in the snow/ice, and no I'm not a terrible driver. My order of preference would be 4WD (e.g. quattro), FWD and probably never RWD. Might be fun on a track day but is it REALLY better for normal driving? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
                I really don't understand some people's obsession with RWD cars, I just don't. Had an old MX-5 and it was so twitchy in the wet I ended up selling it before winter as I wouldn't dare drive it in the snow/ice, and no I'm not a terrible driver. My order of preference would be 4WD (e.g. quattro), FWD and probably never RWD. Might be fun on a track day but is it REALLY better for normal driving? I doubt it.
                Yep. One untreated icy road on the way home from work, dark and poorly lit, with potholes and odd cambers, and see how much delight there is in RWD.

AWD everytime my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Yep. One untreated icy road on the way home from work, dark and poorly lit, with potholes and odd cambers, and see how much delight there is in RWD.

AWD everytime my friend!
                  You must be a crap driver.
                  My RWD is fine in the wet - but then I do have proper winter tyres.
                  That and the electronic aids mean you cope just fine.
                  Problem with AWD is that it doesn't help you to stop.
                  Journalist did something useful once and showed that winter tyres are more effective than AWD with normal tyres.

In the mud on the other hand, you really do need AWD.
                  Last edited by sasguru; 8 April 2016, 15:30.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You must be a crap driver.
                    My RWD is fine in the wet - but then I do have proper winter tyres.
                    That and the electronic aids are just fine.
                    Problem with AWD is that it doesn't help you to stop.
                    Journalist did something useful once and showed that winter tyres are more effective than AWD with normal tyres.

Winter tyres + AWD = best option.

AWD doesn't help you stop, but it does help you power out of situations where you might otherwise have used the brakes and discovered you couldn't stop.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Winter tyres + AWD = best option.

Aye. But mostly unnecessary in the South.
                      Feckit, if it snows, I simply walk to Tesco, the nearest supermarket
                      Its unpleasant having to go Tesco rather than Waitrose, I grant you.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X