• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regarding SC Clearance and conviction...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might add I've been working in my first role for 6 years and I'm still going to be based on the same site but for a different company...is there anything I can do? What if i decide not to declare it and wait until my clearance runs out?

Comment

Originally posted by soulwaffle View Post
      I might add I've been working in my first role for 6 years and I'm still going to be based on the same site but for a different company...is there anything I can do? What if i decide not to declare it and wait until my clearance runs out?
      That's for you to decide. But this forum should only advise informing all parties at the earliest opportunity.

SC clearance is a privilege, not a right.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        Should have gone to ibreachedmysecurityclearancebutstillwantit.com for serious advice.
        FTFY
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If I were you I'd wait until you have actually been charged with something. The Police will probably lose the paperwork or not bother to follow up on it because something else takes their mind off it like some Pension Reform or change of conditions. Innocent until proven guilty after all.
          The time to worry is after you have a criminal record, not before. After all, half of the Secret Service were spying for the Russkies for years with the top levels of security available. Do you think THEY gave a fook?
          Nothing much to worry about if you ask me......which you did.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

why all the hate....i was in possession of drugs for personal use. I don't deal. Im being charged with personal use. My question is what do I do once I am charged? What makes me scum? :/
            Mainly because you posted in General, which is more of a forum for people who like to bray loudly and continuously about how superior they are to others, whether morally or otherwise, than a source of useful advice. As mudskipper advises, try posting in Accounting/Legal, where that kind of abusive attitude would get them banned.

If it's just possession of a bit of weed or hash for personal use, you may well get off with a caution anyway. If it's a small quantity of Class A (couple of Es or the like, which shouldn't be Class A in the first place, though that's a matter for another day) then you may still find that the CPS don't feel it's worth the cost of pursuing through the courts and the matter is dropped. So it's probably best to see how it turns out, then proceed from there.

Also, I would imagine there is some source of information on what and who to notify under which circumstances, possibly in a leaflet given to you when you obtained SC and which, like everybody else who gets it, you never bothered reading; or perhaps on some official website. So look for that in addition to seeking advice from anonymous people of dubious reliability on t'Internet.

Comment

Thank you NickFitz. I'll try in legal/accounting.

Comment

Talk to the site Security Officer, you are obliged to inform them, if they just "find out" then you can expect your SC to be pulled double quick. I wouldn't give much for your chances of the conversation with the Security Officer resulting in anything other than a fairly rapid contract termination though.

If a clearance is withdrawn/terminated the chances of being cleared in the future are very remote.

Purely from a personal point of view, you have to be a special type of stupid to take part in drug use or other criminal activity when Security Cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  What were you in possession of? What quantity.

Tell no-one. Innocent until proven guilty. Unless HMRC are prosecuting.
                  If he dodged VAT on it then HMRC will be...

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Scum seems a bit harsh.

Honestly I think you need to find a future non SC role
                    Drug destruction job in police.

Comment

I know quite a few people who have various misdemeanours to their name and still have jobs that require clearance.

I think the addictiveness of the substance is a big factor in these decision, they want to know you are not pawning secrets to the Chinese to fund a habit.

If it was me and it was a bag of grass I would fess up and practice crying on cue, if it was 6 grams of coke yer fecked either way.

Doing the 'right thing' and keeping your SC despite losing this gig might be a wise tactical move

Comment

Working...
                      X