• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flirting with the idea of Contracting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys,

I'm 33 and have been in IT for almost 10 years. My current and last role have been 3rd Line, infrastructure support around WinTel, I do lack storage though.

Here's my skill set:

Server 2003-2012 R2 - Install/Config/Admin
    Exchange 2003-2013 - Install/Config/Admin
    AD/GPM - Config/Admin
    Citrix XenApp 6.5 - Config/Admin
    Layer 2 switches - Routing/VLAN
    VMWare - VCenter
    Veeam - Install/config/Admin
    SonicWALL - Install/Config/Admin
    Cisco Call Manager - Admin

Has anyone with a similar skill set moved from Perm to Contract? Care to share your experience please?

What sort of daily rate can I expect?

Have you already looked on JobServe et al for roles that you think fit your skills?

You could also look at IT Jobs Watch, Tracking the IT Job Market for ballpark figures but you didn't say what geographical area you are interested in.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by adnank View Post
      Hi Guys,

I'm 33 and have been in IT for almost 10 years. My current and last role have been 3rd Line, infrastructure support around WinTel, I do lack storage though.

Here's my skill set:

AD/GPM - Config/Admin
      VMWare - VCenter

Has anyone with a similar skill set moved from Perm to Contract? Care to share your experience please?

Contracting is a serious relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        Contracting is a serious relationship.
        More like a very cruel mistress.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

The big difference between permie and contracting is that when you are contracting you are on your own and have to pull your finger out to make it work. That means doing your research to understand all aspects of it. There is no HR to hold your hand, it's down to you. If you are going to take the jump you are going to have to make sure you can stand up and do it yourself. This isn't the best start.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The big difference between permie and contracting is that when you are contracting you are on your own and have to pull your finger out to make it work. That means doing your research to understand all aspects of it. There is no HR to hold your hand, it's down to you. If you are going to take the jump you are going to have to make sure you can stand up and do it yourself. This isn't the best start.
            This.

Too many people try and turn it into a financial equation (although you should be making on the deal, obviously) and not examine the massive change of mindset.

Comment

Research, like asking people who do it for a living...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Research, like asking a load of random people on an anonymous forum that get a bit bored of people not putting a bit of effort in first....
                Your argument has some merit but hardly quality research when starting a whole new method of work that has no small amount of risk.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by adnank View Post
                  Hi Guys,

Here's my skill set:

AD/GPM - Config/Admin
                  VMWare - VCenter

Layer 2 switches don't do routing...

Comment

Research, like asking a load of random people on an anonymous forum that get a bit bored of people not putting a bit of effort in first....
                    ...but who somehow never get round to explaining why they don't just tulipe off then instead of continually posting gripes about the quality of the questions ?

Boo

Comment

Working...
                    X