• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was feeling a little left out that I hadn't been asked for 2 references but lo, not half an hour ago I received one. Does this make me a proper contractor now??

Was from Amoria Bond wishing me a "Merry Christmas" and asking for details; position, current salary and yes for "References (at least 2 - at this stage just names, no need for contact details at this stage)"

I'm guessing if the names don't appear in the list they will ask for details.

Comment

Daniel Fayaz from

Originally posted by teclo View Post
      I was feeling a little left out that I hadn't been asked for 2 references but lo, not half an hour ago I received one. Does this make me a proper contractor now??

Was from Amoria Bond wishing me a "Merry Christmas" and asking for details; position, current salary and yes for "References (at least 2 - at this stage just names, no need for contact details at this stage)"

I'm guessing if the names don't appear in the list they will ask for details.
      I got the same thing and I fell for it as back then I didn't know about this con. Then, he contacted my referee and offered her their candidates. However, what he didn't expect is her screaming at him and at his company and threatening by law for violating the DPA. They didn't tell her where they had her information from, but she contacted me and asked me.

Today, I wouldn't deal with this company neither would she! And I'm here spreading the word!

This is the email that I got:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
      Hi Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to speak to me and if you could get 2 UK references over to me so I can attach them to your CV cover note that would be great.

All I need is as follows:
      Names:
      Position Held:
      Company Name:
      Company Location:

Also I cant tell you how important it is to find out the name of the company you are interviewing as we work with a large amount of different clients in London and would not want to make either of us look unprofessional.

Look forward to your response.
      Regards,
      Daniel Fayaz
      Development Consultant
      Amoria Bond

Comment

They're still at it...

Here we go again...

I hope you are well. Thank you for applying for the Test Analyst position based in Yorkshire.
        As you can imagine, I have had well over 250 responses to this position due to the current climate. As I have never worked with you before, and competition is high, I am requesting 2 references from you to validate your work.
        I only want to work with the best, and I know references will give you the best chance to be successful.
        I ask for the referee's name, contact details, place of work, where you worked with them and telephone number - these will be contacted today.
        Any questions, please don't hesitate to call me on the number below.

After my refusal....

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I have had such a large response to this position that I am making the references request mandatory. If you are unable to supply these, I cannot forward your application to the shortlist.

Apologies it has to be like this, but I'm sure you can understand the competition in the market at present.

I will still very much consider you for any other roles that come through to me, which do not require such a strict protocol so early

Blood in your poo

Comment

just give them your mobile number for both references and affect a different accent when they call you.

Comment

I'm a bit late to the party here's my take on 'I need 2 references b*llocks*:

I tell them that I am happy to provide references but they can only be contacted by recorded delivery post and only if there is a definite interview.

Nothing I can do, that's what they have stipulated and I have to comply to their wishes.

If the agent still refuses to put me forward, then the job wasn't real in the first place and just a fishing expidition which frankly save's me wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
              I'm a bit late to the party here's my take on 'I need 2 references b*llocks*:

I tell them that I am happy to provide references but they can only be contacted by recorded delivery post and only if there is a definite interview.

Nothing I can do, that's what they have stipulated and I have to comply to their wishes.

If the agent still refuses to put me forward, then the job wasn't real in the first place and just a fishing expidition which frankly save's me wasting my time.
              I just had the "2 references" situation just now. Told them that I will give them the references after I had an interview....and not before. The usual b***s**t about checking out the calibre. But I held my ground. Don't think i will be hearing from them again.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                I just had the "2 references" situation just now. Told them that I will give them the references after I had an interview....and not before. The usual b***s**t about checking out the calibre. But I held my ground. Don't think i will be hearing from them again.
                Good for you for standing your ground Will you hear about back from them? 'hell' to the 'No' you won't. Job probably wasn't real in the first place.

No agent worth their salt will ask for reference until there is a defninite offer in place for you as the successful candidate.

Comment

Hi, newbie here, IT contractor for 3 years now.

This happened to me for the first time in November 2008. I told them to p**s off as it was unprofessional. I could also tell by the inexperienced voiced of the agent that they were just fishing for info.

Needless to say I never heard back from them.

Comment

Reading this post- it would appear some of you are confusing the term 'professional' with 'profishional'

Think about it - then move on.

Comment

I was told a year or 2 ago that they have to get 2 references as its a illegal for them to not screen their contractors.

What a tw@t

Comment

Working...
                      X