• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching client, but retaining same end customer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching client, but retaining same end customer

Hi,

Looking for some advice here on a decision I've got to make.

I'm working as a contractor for Client A who provides an offsite service for Customer C. Client B also provides an offsite service for Customer C.

Is there anything to stop me at the end of my contract with Client A from moving to Client B - providing services to the same Customer C?

If there is nothing in law about this, would it be likely that Customer C themselves would have issues with this happening?
    Also, would thisbe beneficial as I would be working into different clients - even though the end customer has not changed? I.e. get me around the 24 month rule for expenses?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ted; 30 March 2017, 14:51.

Check your contract. There should be a handcuff in there which most likely covers your clients client so you could quite well be caught.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      Hi,

Looking for some advice here on a decision I've got to make.

I'm working as a contractor for Client A who provides an offsite service for Customer C. Client B also provides an offsite service for Customer C.

Is there anything to stop me at the end of my contract with Client A from moving to Client B - providing services to the same Customer C?

If there is nothing in law about this, would it be likely that Customer C themselves would have issues with this happening?
      Also, would thisbe beneficial as I would be working into different clients - even though the end customer has not changed? I.e. get me around the 24 month rule for expenses?

Thanks.
      NLUK will correct me if I'm wrong... I thought the 24 month was location based rather than customer based, unless your location changes significantly (eg different office in same city is not significant enough, i.e. as far as I understand it different end client in same city is not enough) then you'll be caught. Then there is the 40% bit which someone can explain :-)
      Last edited by gables; 30 March 2017, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
        NLUK will correct me if I'm wrong... I thought the 24 month was location based rather than customer based
        Correct. There is a sticky going through it in great detail.

Comment

If it is the same project or dept then it's a problem, if it is a different project don't worry about it. Basically will you be "pinching" business as a result of switching, it's as simple as that, just be a pragmatic.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Any agents in this chain?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies - no there are no agents involved in this.
              It would be within same company but more than likely different projects.

Comment

Working...
              X