• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client not flexible with hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I always assume every gig is 9 to 5 unless they say in the interview.

To be honest, most people have said in interview where, for instance, they provided cover to 6 or whatever. .
    Providing cover?? Sounds like you're bang to rights inside IR35.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    If they say no 9-5 no way then its up to me to accept offer or not.
    Don't they sanction you if you turn down an offer of work?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I have a personal beef with contractors signing a contract and turning up wanting flexibility from the off and the walking when they don't get it. Good riddance IMO.
      ^^^This^^^ absolutely. Flexibility works both ways.

My current role has been ongoing for nearly 2 years now. For the first 2 weeks I was 9-5. Since then I've been in the office once on a Friday (a meeting I set), and whilst my mother-in-law is very poorly I have the flexibility to WFH 5 days a week.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I believe that contracting is full of Prima Donnas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          Oh dear god. Why? Just why?

Says the European Permie on a UK contractor forum. How on earth can you have a clue what UK contractors attitudes are like?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the client isn't flexible then it's your call, either accept it and stick it out till renewal or bin them and find someone more accommodating..

<primadonna>
            remember they need your skills you don't them
            </primadonna>

Do what thou wilt

Comment

The most prima donnas I've met have all been perms.

I was one, and I hated contractors, and realised eventually that contractors are generally humble and quiet (just maybe not on this forum) as being a pr1ck doesn't get renewals.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you are discussing measured, careful, negotiations of how you wish to complete a contract, why is that being a Prima Donna?

If this is the case, then all the trades men that I use must be Prima Donnas, also, stating what time they are getting here, how they are going to do it from my "requirements", how long they work etc.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  ^^^This^^^ absolutely. Flexibility works both ways.

My current role has been ongoing for nearly 2 years now. For the first 2 weeks I was 9-5. Since then I've been in the office once on a Friday (a meeting I set), and whilst my mother-in-law is very poorly I have the flexibility to WFH 5 days a week.
                  I've never done 9-5 every day. Set the expectation early about how you work, and you don't have to deal with any of this crap - they know that they will get high quality work, but if it's more important to have someone there making up the hours then choose someone else. If I'm working away, you're unlikely to see me at 9am on a Monday or after 1pm on a Friday because I'll be travelling. But I'll be there the rest of the week with no problem.

The closest I came was when one consultancy mid-contract decided that to show the end-client that we had bodies in the office from 9-5 every day (client never came to this office either). To meet those conditions, I offered to work a three day week 9-5 (Tues-Thurs) because then I could travel down at my leisure on the Monday and home on the Friday and be in the office for the hours they wanted. As a consequence, I continued my working pattern as I had for the previous six months.

Comment

I've discovered why they want the fixed hours.

All the work is going to be paired.

I've managed to avoid until now but the permies were out on an Agile course last week & they've come back full of ideas.

Err.. I think that's me out to be honest. Can't think of a tactful way of explaining why I don't want to bunk up with some geeky permie 9-5:30 every day for the next 6 months.

The annoying thing is I had a choice of 2 & I chose the one closer to home just because....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Err.. I think that's me out to be honest. Can't think of a tactful way of explaining why I don't want to bunk up with some geeky permie 9-5:30 every day for the next 6 months.
                      The tactful way is simply say 'cos IR35'. I doubt they'll be sympathetic but it's more tactful than 'bunking up with geeky permy'
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X