• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandatory Contractor Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
    Pretty standard where I am currently, albeit the number of days, whether they have to be consecutive and the amount of notice given varies depending upon the direction of the wind, company share price, recent fines/criminal investigations, market volatility and a host of other reasons that make it near impossible to predict.

My strategy:
    - schedule the time off when it works for me, or if I don't have any need to take it, schedule it for the last possible week
    - use the time to have a much needed but oft overlooked holiday
    - put a bit more effort into my oft overlooked other half
    It is frustrating when there are deadlines to be met but ultimately if my client wants to make stupid decisions to meet short term internal financial targets I'll let them.
    FTFY - I appreciate time off more now I'm older. I also hold hands with her a lot; it stops her shopping.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Work to live etc so wouldn't bother me.

But don't let client do as one tried with me. They insisted on two weeks over Xmas despite big upgrade mid Jan that was already behind. So we protested to no avail.

First week in Jan senior pm calls everyone in and says we've all got to "put the effort in and make sacrifices" so it gets done. In other words we saved some money but now we want you to work the hours for free.

Was a bit cheeky and a few dullards did it too. I didn't.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Work to live etc so wouldn't bother me.
        Who are you kidding. You'd have a post on here complaining before you'd finished reading the mail about it.
        But don't let client do as one tried with me. They insisted on two weeks over Xmas despite big upgrade mid Jan that was already behind. So we protested to no avail.
        Thought you weren't bothered?
        First week in Jan senior pm calls everyone in and says we've all got to "put the effort in and make sacrifices" so it gets done. In other words we saved some money but now we want you to work the hours for free.

Was a bit cheeky and a few dullards did it too. I didn't.
        Ah there we go, the complaining..... Normal service is resumed.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would think something was wrong if I didn't have at least 5 days off a quarter, usually coincides with a 5 week month

Comment

I just hate that word 'furlough'......

Comment

Any more posts between NLUK and psychocandy in the professional forums that are just personal abuse will result in both parties being banned for a few days. We've had enough.

If you find he's off your ignore list, exercise some self control and put him back on. Do not respond. It isn't difficult.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                How about 'Lomauttaa' then?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Enforced bench time is pretty common now, last client, all contractors had to vacate from about 20th December until about 7th Jan.

If the project work gets thin on the ground, they also told individual contractors to go home and come back when the workload increased.

Some people like it, others, who live to work, get upset.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Enforced bench time is pretty common now, last client, all contractors had to vacate from about 20th December until about 7th Jan.

If the project work gets thin on the ground, they also told individual contractors to go home and come back when the workload increased.

Some people like it, others, who live to work, get upset.
                    Tell them to man up or go perm.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Me too. Clientco are unsurprisingly Septics.

Comment

Working...
                      X