• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Approching Your Agent About Another Role They Are Advertising

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approching Your Agent About Another Role They Are Advertising

Here is a strange one, say you are on a gig, happy enough, but you get wind that your agent is looking to fill another role, potentially with the same client, but one that is more appealing.

Would you speak to the agent about the new role, or fear that you will spook him and the client putting the original gig in question.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Here is a strange one, say you are on a gig, happy enough, but you get wind that your agent is looking to fill another role, potentially with the same client, but one that is more appealing.

Would you speak to the agent about the new role, or fear that you will spook him and the client putting the original gig in question.
    If it's within the same client then I'd talk to the client first to express your interest.

No reason the client would bin you off for asking, and if they are amenable it presents the agent with a fait accompli they can do nothing about. They still get to place your replacement.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      If it's within the same client then I'd talk to the client first to express your interest.

No reason the client would bin you off for asking, and if they are amenable it presents the agent with a fait accompli they can do nothing about. They still get to place your replacement.
      This. The agent won't have the authority over the move or anything. He will just be thinking about his bottom line and I'd expect this is a bit risky from that perspective.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wasting your time, the agent will say its not ethical to put you forwards, (been there done that)

Comment

Is it coming up to renewal? If not I wouldn't even think about it. You've signed a contract, so you should complete it.

If not, I would find out for definite if it is with the same client first of all. If it is, maybe better to talk to them first rather than the agent. All depends on if it's the same department, same project you're working on etc. The PM for the project you're working may not be happy you're jumping ship halfway through. Or if it is (an therefore you won't be getting a renewal) they might realise you could do that role too, so would appreciate it if you save them the hassle of finding someone else.

Also, what makes it more appealing? Lot's of factors in this situation that you've not covered really.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            Is it coming up to renewal? If not I wouldn't even think about it. You've signed a contract, so you should complete it.

If not, I would find out for definite if it is with the same client first of all. If it is, maybe better to talk to them first rather than the agent. All depends on if it's the same department, same project you're working on etc. The PM for the project you're working may not be happy you're jumping ship halfway through. Or if it is (an therefore you won't be getting a renewal) they might realise you could do that role too, so would appreciate it if you save them the hassle of finding someone else.

Also, what makes it more appealing? Lot's of factors in this situation that you've not covered really.
            I actually completely disagree with this. You are being very 2 dimensional in your thinking here. You need to think more about the situation. One is doing business with different clients and leaving one in the lurch for the other.. You are failing in the expectations the client has etc ... I get that one for sure...

This situation is about doing business with your current client and negotiating in to a position that actually works out for everyone. You've got two client managers and the OP. Between the three you can look at the problem and work out the solution. It might be it's a no go. Fair enough. Could be the existing client manager has an idea where to move it so would be ideal for the contractor to move to a different role but still be available for consultancy etc.. They may not actually need 2 contractors and so on.. This is doing business which is good for everyone... except maybe the agent which is bloody great news

Comment

Agent will not be helpful you need to bypass them if possible. From their perspective you staying in your role & them getting another contractor onsite = 2 salaries. You moving to the other role & the agent not being able to fill your role = 1 salary! Agents ONLY think about their bottom line your interests are not even on their radar UNLESS more money in it for them!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This situation is about doing business with your current client and negotiating in to a position that actually works out for everyone. You've got two client managers and the OP. Between the three you can look at the problem and work out the solution. It might be it's a no go. Fair enough. Could be the existing client manager has an idea where to move it so would be ideal for the contractor to move to a different role but still be available for consultancy etc.. They may not actually need 2 contractors and so on.. This is doing business which is good for everyone... except maybe the agent which is bloody great news
                +1 Speak to the client guys involved

I can't believe some of the other responses .
                Bloody good opportunity, in my book.
                Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 25 February 2016, 12:41.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I actually completely disagree with this. You are being very 2 dimensional in your thinking here. You need to think more about the situation. One is doing business with different clients and leaving one in the lurch for the other.. You are failing in the expectations the client has etc ... I get that one for sure...

eh? What are you disagreeing with? This is basically what I'm saying: speak to the client and work something out.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                    eh? What are you disagreeing with? This is basically what I'm saying: speak to the client and work something out.
                    erm.....

Comment

Working...
                    X