• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to make the jump!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to make the jump!

Hi guys,

I've been going through the boards trying to absorb a lot of the great information and advice you guys have here. It's a very different world from being a permie and some of it is a bit tricky to digest. I wonder if I could ask some advice from you guys?

At the moment I'm working full time in a Admin/Engineer type role doing project type work. I'm currently on around 42k. Although I enjoy my job, I've been there a few years now and would like to move onto new challenges and get a pay bump.

I started looking into contracting because I think it would suit me down to a tee. I love the idea of having more free time, even if it is stressful time looking for new contracts. I like my work to be varied and involve different challenges to keep me on my toes. So I thought this would be something great to explore.

I'm a little bit stuck though trying to decipher the best place to start.

Would you recommend I keep hammering the job boards until somebody takes note, or because I'm so green, should I be going via agencies so they can help guide me. I know my CV is a permie C.V and people will be off put by that. Also, trying to work out the daily rates seem complicated, on paper a rate of 250-300 looks pretty good, but then after the risk if IR35 and all other expenses, risk, I'm not sure i'd be any better off! I've progressed very quickly in my career, but I'm sure I'm going up against people with more years experience.

If anybody has any advice, I'd be really grateful!

Thank you CUK!

Originally posted by WorkShy View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been going through the boards trying to absorb a lot of the great information and advice you guys have here. It's a very different world from being a permie and some of it is a bit tricky to digest. I wonder if I could ask some advice from you guys?

At the moment I'm working full time in a Admin/Engineer type role doing project type work. I'm currently on around 42k. Although I enjoy my job, I've been there a few years now and would like to move onto new challenges and get a pay bump.

I started looking into contracting because I think it would suit me down to a tee. I love the idea of having more free time, even if it is stressful time looking for new contracts. I like my work to be varied and involve different challenges to keep me on my toes. So I thought this would be something great to explore.

Would you recommend I keep hammering the job boards until somebody takes note, or because I'm so green, should I be going via agencies so they can help guide me. I know my CV is a permie C.V and people will be off put by that. Also, trying to work out the daily rates seem complicated, on paper a rate of 250-300 looks pretty good, but then after the risk if IR35 and all other expenses, risk, I'm not sure i'd be any better off! I've progressed very quickly in my career, but I'm sure I'm going up against people with more years experience.

Thank you CUK!
    don't jump without a safety net

Comment

I've had so much LESS free time since I started contracting!

Comment

I second pr1. In the past I had been tempted by the money, but the fact is that you're giving up a decent rate of pay with paid holidays and sick leave for potentially greater earnings and no certainty. I only took the plunge because I was being made redundant with eight years in the bank meaning I had a cushion of a few months wage behind me. I'm under no illusion this is going to be my new way of life because I have too many responsibilities to meet; if push comes to shove I'll go back to perm before I'll take benefits.

If you don't have anyone else depending on your income it's a different story, but have some savings before you take the plunge because you never know what could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkShy View Post
          Hi guys,

Thank you CUK!
          Right now these jobs are not paying 250-300 a day due to the EU cough cough far east competition willing to do same roles for 150-200 day! You get what you pay for but clients/agencies can only see the bottom line right now.

Prepare for bench warming downtime if you go contracting & your not an in demand skillset developer or in demand project manager!

There is a lot of smelly BS around about how much people earn in IT the only people earning really high money are professional devs, highly skilled/qualified IT business & IT project managers. Everyone else is in the 150-350 a day bracket same as the perm salaries with a few exceptions here & there.

The IT gold rush ended a few years ago try getting a contract role you feel you are suited to with a perm background CV before handing your notice in as on paper its easy but when clients want the unicorn perfect candidate (who ticks all the boxes & then some) & the agency will always offer you less money as its your first contract & or use you to show the client what a perm to contract candidate interviews like with no intention of actually hiring you!

You see IT recruitment agencies are like estate agents its all a numbers game to them the more candidates they can place the more they earn in commission (their base salaries are pitiful usually) so expect to be lied to constantly & told you are on the shortlist even if your not even wanted!

Good luck but stop believing the hype its far harder to actually land a contract especially coming from a perm background that's a handicap to many clients they want highly skilled contractors who can hit the ground running with a lot of experience of different sites/working practices etc etc

Comment

you need a decent amount of savings to make the jump - dont forget you will need to give notice on your perm job, and no guarantee the gig won't get pulled in the mean time.

Between the dividend tax increase, and the IR35 potential tightening, T&S via umbrella - the temptation to jump into the lower end of the market isn't really there as strongly.

Still doable, but make sure you are properly set up (6 months salary in the bank would be my suggestion), you may get lucky - but if you don't the personal/family/stress costs will make you wish you'd never done it.

Oh, and you have A LOT less time if you get back to back gigs - and if you are good, there is a fair chance of that. Taking time off feels wrong, I worked 18 months without a single day off when I set up, plus evenings and weekends to hit deadlines/do accounts/set up company - it is not more relaxing. I see it as having a 10 year shelf life before I want to go back perm for a rest!
            Last edited by Danglekt; 25 January 2016, 14:37.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SwYN7mTi6HM

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I personally didn't jump for the money, I did it because I prefer project-based work.
                Similarly if you're risk averse, don't do it. Also, hope you're happy to go where the jobs are and live a "non-standard" life. I've spent 4.5 of the last 7 years in London and 2.5 in Manchester, meaning that I'm never sure when I'm getting ripped off and when I'm getting a bargain!
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The money is certainly a factor but I've stagnated in permie roles hence why I've been doing this for over 12 years, I like the variety.

To the OP: are you married? My gf (now wife) met me as a contractor so the time out doesn't faze her, but could your wife cope with you being at home all day with no money coming in (so to speak) for 6 months, a year?

A decision now could cost you your marriage a few years down the line.

Good Luck.

qh
                  Last edited by quackhandle; 25 January 2016, 15:53.
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

There's never a good time to do it, and whenever you make the jump (if you are, in fact, cut out to be a contractor) you'll ask yourself why you didn't do it years ago.

I first went contracting many many years ago, since my permie job wasn't covering my very modest outgoings. I needed more money. I quit without a contract, worked my 4 weeks notice, and found my first contract 3 weeks after that. I took a break from contracting in 2000 and took some management positions, before returning to contracting in 2005, with admittedly, rather more financial security than the first time. I found a contract within 2 weeks and never looked back.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X