• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you ever leave a contract early?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you ever leave a contract early?

Hi All,
    Question for the 'I wouldn't terminate early brigade' here really. I'm working at ClientCo A (I've worked here once before for a couple of years). I've been here 3 months, and have another 3 months left.

ClientCo B (where I've worked 3 times previously, for a total of about 3 years), have called me up via a agent and asked me to go back. They would give me a 10% raise, 95% wfh (not possible at all at ClientCo A), and the job sounds more interesting, and is more senior.

I told ClientCo B, "Thanks, but I don't leave contracts early. I'm sure they wouldn't want me to do that to them, and if the position is still available at the end of my current engagement I would be more than willing to discuss again."

They came back and threw more money at me to come back. I've politely declined again.

My question is, are there any circumstances in which you'd leave a contract early? Double the money? Changing working conditions?

The more I think about it, the more I think that to do it could be a short time gain, long term loss....
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

I guess I would have a tipping point eventually, not sure what it would be though.

And it would vary depending on the contract I would be leaving. If I hated the work, the travel was difficult or whatever, that would lower my price.

To give you an example, I'm not driving just now so travel is a pain, my contract is a decent distance away, isn't the greatest for me tech-wise, BUT it is my highest rate ever by some distance, and it's a really nice team to work with, and I can work from home at least once a week which mitigates the travelling issue.

Comment

Hmm.... difficult one. but I wouldnt jump unless its a sinking ship. Im currently jumping mid contract - for the first time in 6yrs.

Comment

Seriously considering it right now, after being sidelined when I came back form holiday, but am not jumping until I have landed something else.

Comment

There are always situations where it's has to be considered. It's a balance of professionalism and reward. There is always a point where the reward will far outweigh the professionalism argument. Each person has a different set of criteria and many won't value the professionalism so small rewards would tempt them. Each to his own. I'd be uncomfortable in a position where the reward tempts me but I'd go if it was right. Big changes in rate, working experience and interest in the gig at a known client makes for a very tempting package I must say. Jumping just because it's 20 quid a day more at an unknown client is most certainly not.

If the package is that good, it's done properly and it's only done very occasionally I don't think it will harm the long term.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes I would, but generally when I do it is because it's near the end of the contract, the work has dried up and I have been offered something new (not that I have gone out looking for something). When those three happen, I will discuss with the current client along the lines of "hey, are you thinking of giving me an extension or a new bit of work to go on?" If they say no, or are unsure, then I tell them that I have been offered something else, but they have first refusal.
            If I have a good relationship with the client, the discussion can be honest and can make sure you leave on good terms.

...saying that, the last contract I left early was due to the tulip agency not paying me on time.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Never have

Never have and probably never will. I can't defend it to any great level and wouldn't think badly of anyone that did but, in my line of work, other contracts aren't always quickly available and - a bit old fashioned but it still sticks - it seems a bit unprofessional to me.

Been thrown out of one or two mind...

Comment

I have left a contract early, well actually worked the notice period. Hated the contract, the work was not as discussed and the code was horrible. Quite stressful and felt like I wasn't doing a good job.

An old client contacted me so I had something lined up. It wasn't an easy decision and my name is probably mud with that client but life is too short.

Comment

I'd have no qualms about leaving. Only reasons I wouldn't would if be my departure would completely screw over the client, or if it would burn a bridge I cared about. Or if it was a breach of contract.

In 5 years will you look back and wish you'd done it? If it gives you a happier life with the WFH and more money, I would say you'd regret not doing it.

Firing up the potential Regret-o-meter is how I make most decisions.
                  Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Leaving a contract because of factors within that contract is one thing; jumping to another contract because the other gives you more money is something else, and it's the same something else regardless of whether it's £5 a day more or double the money.

Comment

Working...
                    X