• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Xmas Party

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Xmas Party

I want to have an 'Xmas Party' for the company staff and I heard that the allowance is £150 per employee.

Questions

1. Does this mean I can blow 150 quid on party related fun for myself and the secretary (in other words can I spend the money on a night out rather than arrange a formal party)?
    2. Do I need receipts (if we do a bar crawl I'm thinking cash is easier) or can I get away without them?

You can blow £300 as its £150 per employee (plus one guest per emp).

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
    1. Does this mean I can blow 150 quid on party related fun for myself and the secretary (in other words can I spend the money on a night out rather than arrange a formal party)?
    Whats the difference?

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
    2. Do I need receipts (if we do a bar crawl I'm thinking cash is easier) or can I get away without them?
    Do you need receipts for the rest of the year?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      You can blow £300 as its £150 per employee (plus one guest per emp).

Whats the difference?

Do you need receipts for the rest of the year?
      I have been told by my accountant the the company sec isn't classed as an employee unless they are paid... So unless you are paying the company sec, then you might only have 150 to blow and all receipts are needed.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        I have been told by my accountant the the company sec isn't classed as an employee unless they are paid... So unless you are paying the company sec, then you might only have 150 to blow and all receipts are needed.

HTH
        The employee is allowed one guest and its £150 per head so £300 per employee effectively.

Comment

HMRC is not explicit in how many guests can be invited however, ALL employees must be invited [ even if they don't attend ].

I did a "family" do a couple of montyhs back - 2 employees invited and attended, another 4 guests attended.

All reciepts have vbeen kept and the total falls under £150 * 6.

Don't forget as well that you can have more than one a year, so if in the above example my total cost was £500, then [£500/6 = £83.3 ] - I can still have another party providing that the amount per person does not exceed £66.70 each ]
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
            HMRC is not explicit in how many guests can be invited however, ALL employees must be invited [ even if they don't attend ].

I did a "family" do a couple of montyhs back - 2 employees invited and attended, another 4 guests attended.

All reciepts have vbeen kept and the total falls under £150 * 6.

Don't forget as well that you can have more than one a year, so if in the above example my total cost was £500, then [£500/6 = £83.3 ] - I can still have another party providing that the amount per person does not exceed £66.70 each ]
            Seems like I've been given a bit of bad advice from my accountant.
            I was told that it was a single event (it doesn't read that way on the HMRC site), only employees can attend no other guests ( Others have it as 150/head).
            I thought for £150 it wasn't worth it, but if I was allowed £300 i.e. myself and guest then it would be worth it...

Looks like my accountant was playing it safe.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              Seems like I've been given a bit of bad advice from my accountant.
              I was told that it was a single event (it doesn't read that way on the HMRC site), only employees can attend no other guests ( Others have it as 150/head).
              I thought for £150 it wasn't worth it, but if I was allowed £300 i.e. myself and guest then it would be worth it...

Looks like my accountant was playing it safe.
              I had the same advice from my accountant. 150 per payrolled employee.

NO GUESTS!

Anyone got a link to the HMRC docs that say "1 guest per employee is ok" or something along those lines?
              The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM21690.htm
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

So it's really best for a weekend away somewhere? Unless you actually like expensive little portions of food on top of the gravy.

Comment

£300 it is then.

I hope spearmint Rhino give receipts for lap dances

Comment

Working...
                    X