• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Company Xmas Party

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company Xmas Party"

Collapse

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    don't forget to take minutes....
    That's admin. It's her job now

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
    It's on Saturday. And no-one is more shocked than I am that we'll actually discuss the business too! Not for long, granted but our lass is going to do all the admin in future so the details need thrashing out.

Over a nice meal, obviously
    don't forget to take minutes....

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    so has anyone booked a christmas party for "staff" and guests?
    It's on Saturday. And no-one is more shocked than I am that we'll actually discuss the business too! Not for long, granted but our lass is going to do all the admin in future so the details need thrashing out.

Over a nice meal, obviously

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    I seem to remember reading that if you spent over the £150/head then all of it was classed as a BIK, not just the amount over £150.

But then I probably read it on here which means it's a pile of poo...

you are quite correct.

It's something to do with a threshold and an allowance and the difference between the 2.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I seem to remember reading that if you spent over the £150/head then all of it was classed as a BIK, not just the amount over £150.

But then I probably read it on here which means it's a pile of poo...

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Booked it, had it, got too drunk to remember bits of it....

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post

I did one in the summer, noe doing Christmas - the wife is taking care of the cooking and I'm going to pay her to do it.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    When I used to work for a large utility company - most of the employees were shareholders as well as employeees.

I know what you're trying to say, but where does the scenario of a 2 person company and a 1,000 person company differ when all employees are also shareholders ?
    Possibly in the case of the 1,000 person company, Christmas parties are disallowed or possibly it is considered that morale still needs to be upheld because each employee doesn't benefit quite so directly from the profit he generates.

Can you point to the specific clause about non-deductability for CT please ?
    ICTA88/S74 (1)(a)

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    The point is that in these cases the employees are not usually also the shareholders of the business. The point of the party is to generate goodwill amongst the employees (or prevent the badwill that could arise if there was no party).

It is hard to imagine that if yourco didn't have a Christmas party that you would throw your toys out of the pram and refuse to do any work in January.

When I used to work for a large utility company - most of the employees were shareholders as well as employeees.

I know what you're trying to say, but where does the scenario of a 2 person company and a 1,000 person company differ when all employees are also shareholders ?

Can you point to the specific clause about non-deductability for CT please ?

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My dispensation says yes!

Hey I don't make the rules. I just play by them.

It seems to fit within all the rules.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Another question. Me and the company secretary could fly to Bora Bora and stay in one of those overwater bungalows. Then invite say 100 guests for a beach party and buy them each one beer.

As long as the total cost is < 150 per head and neither of us have a salary more than £8,500 the whole thing is tax deductible?
    My dispensation says yes!

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Another question. Me and the company secretary could fly to Bora Bora and stay in one of those overwater bungalows. Then invite say 100 guests for a beach party and buy them each one beer.

As long as the total cost is < 150 per head and neither of us have a salary more than £8,500 the whole thing is tax deductible?
    I think that would definitely work. 100% robust.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    a cunning plan?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    If that was in response to me, this link refers only to benefits-in-kind, not corporation tax deductibility.
    It wasn't in response to anyone in particular - I guess it was in response to the original question about what was allowed.

From a BIK perspective, the document explains it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X