• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You'd assume it's because she's got income from dividends greater than 10k.
    That doesn't require a self-assessment, although HMRC will claim that it does.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Why is your wife doing a self assessment?
      to pay her dividend tax

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        That doesn't require a self-assessment, although HMRC will claim that it does.
        Hmm I always get this mixed up. I thought the argument was you don't need to fill one in just because you are a director. You must do for dividends >10k though. How do you pay the right tax on such a large amount of dividends if you don't do an SA?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          OP, if you want to do a DIY Self Assessment return, I recommend you take a serious look at a software package called TaxCalc. It costs around GBP 25 (for up to 6 returns in that year) and is worth every penny. If you follow the software prompts and use the inbuilt help system along with the HMRC guidelines you'll do your own tax return and your partner's very easily. TaxCalc also advise you by phone or email on filling the form(s) in (they will not, however, answer any questions about tax) and they are very good. I used it myself for the first time in 16/17 and I am certain to continue using it for as long as I need to do a tax return ever year. HTH.
          Why would you need this when the HMRC self assessment software is free and all you really need if your affairs are simple (1x employer sheet for YourCo, fill in the dividends section - that's it)?

Comment

Hmm I always get this mixed up. I thought the argument was you don't need to fill one in just because you are a director. You must do for dividends >10k though. How do you pay the right tax on such a large amount of dividends if you don't do an SA?
            The same reasoning for not needing to fill one in just because you're a director also applies to dividends. You only have an obligation to report to HMRC if you have untaxed income or gains.

This depends entirely on the wife's other earnings but if she has no other earnings, £10k of dividends will fall within her personal allowance (and there's also the £5k nil rate band on top of that for dividends).

TLDR; if there's no tax due on the dividends because it's all within the personal allowance and/or the dividend nil rate band, there's no need to notify HMRC and file a tax return.

Even if she has dividend income in excess of this and has tax to pay, she may still be able to ask HMRC to reclaim the tax through her tax code, it depends on how much the tax due is.

Comment

Well... I have to say I am thinking back to pre divi tax, as I've been out of the country for a little while now.

Back then there the >10k divis self assessment category was invented by HMRC and had no basis in law, so could be ignored (arguably). I suppose if there is no other way of paying divi tax, then self assessment it is.

Comment

Realistically would you be a director and not take >10k divs in a typical contractor ltd setup ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  Realistically would you be a director and not take >10k divs in a typical contractor ltd setup ?
                  Yes, typically spouses with <20% shares

Comment

Hi
                    Thanks for your comments but I have decided to let my accountant go I am under no contract and its time to move on.

Kind Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      I did that in 15/16 and 16/17 tax year.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X