• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance question

Hi, new to contracting (and also a sleep deprived mother of a 10 month old so please be kind!!)

I'm about to start contracting as a data analyst via a limited company and have a quick question. Just to explain, I am a chartered accountant so I don't really want to pay someone else to do what I am comfortable doing in the main.

However, I've had a bit of a look around here and still can't quite get my head round insurance requirements. I am the sole director, I'll be paying myself a salary but will have no other employees and will be working from my home and not visiting any client sites. Do I just need professional indemnity insurance? If so, what level should I cover, just my expected income? Also, please can people advise the sort of price I should be expecting to pay. Thanks in advance for any help

Welcome.

Obviously EL not needed - often with contracts, the PI/PLI insurance requirements are stipulated (and can vary on a contract-to-contract basis). Shop around, Hiscox, QDOS and other companies generally offer the insurance that you need and can turn it round in minutes so that you're insured and ready to go straight away.
    If you're paying more than £50 a month, you're definitely doing it wrong - if you're working from home exclusively, it should be considerably less but as I said, it will be driven by the contractual requirements usually.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Usually your contract will stipulate what cover you need, this is most likely about 1 million for PI but this can go up to around 5 million.

You might need to consider PL, even if you are mainly working from home. As if you ever do go to another site or even a client comes to visit you, you'll need to be covered, in case anyone injures themselves or any property is damaged.

As for EL, you only need this if you have any other employees or likely to substitute any of the services.

I'd recommend Kingsbridge for insurance, they will tailor the package to you and most of these include occupational personal accident cover too. With a price of around £300-£400 per annum. Plus, they have a price promise too.
      We're all ears!

Comment

Searching the site will help you with many of the basic questions new contractors face. It's highly likely many others will have asked exactly the same question.

The best way to search the forums is using the google method as the search box at the top right is a bit pants.

The method is described here.
        http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

The search would have probably found a thread discussing costs that is currently only 7 or 8 posts below this which would be helpful for example.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...insurance.html

A fundamental tip is to always read your contract and understand it though.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agreed, Kingsbridge are a well known provider of insurance for contractors and are partnered with us.

Please make sure to check that these insurances aren't included within your accountancy package.

Comment

Thanks all, very helpful, I shall get searching when my little snotbag lets me. Sorry northernlad and thanks for the tip, I did attempt some searching, can't believe there's a thread from only a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick@Intouch View Post

Please make sure to check that these insurances aren't included within your accountancy package.
              Pretty sure they won't be.

Comment

PI is generally a good idea. Public Liability if you ever go on site or have clients visit you (home insurance often has some form of public liability for visitors to your home but they may not cover business visitors). EL is not required in your scenario unless you have employees or supply a worker to the client (but not if you are simply sub-contracting part of the work I don't think).

Comment

Originally posted by Becca View Post
                  Thanks all, very helpful, I shall get searching when my little snotbag lets me. Sorry northernlad and thanks for the tip, I did attempt some searching, can't believe there's a thread from only a few days ago.
                  no need to thank him, that's a bot that auto-posts to questions like this.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    no need to thank him, that's a bot that auto-posts to questions like this.
                    Got anything useful to post?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X