• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting through a LTD Co whilst not being a director

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting through a LTD Co whilst not being a director

As a newbie contractor thinking of working through a limited company, is there a legal requirement for me to be a director of that company?

Two companies I have approached so far have said that I need to be a director, but gave no explanation as to why.

I have genuine privacy issues for not wanting to be searchable on the Companies House website and inevitably via Google.

No, there is no legal requirement. But its not unusual for clients (agencies at least) to insist that you are. I don't really know why.

Comment

If your concern is your data privacy, if you are the major shareholder of a company your details will need to be registered with Companies' House anyway.

Register of persons with significant control | Company law | ICAEW

Comment

They want to ensure you are not using an MSC and are solely/partially responsible for finances.

I've pointed out to a couple of agencies recently that a manager or company secretary be legally responsible for dealing with the finances as it depends what is agreed in their job description. This blew the agents' minds....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you work for a company involved in something like animal testing or you have proof your ex is going to kill you then you can request that companies house doesn't release your details, which the companies then harvest. However if you don't then they have to be published. This is to protect the public.

Comment

I would be quite happy to have someone I trust be the director and major shareholder of the company, then like you say, I could hold a position that puts me in charge of the company's finances.
            The problem is convincing the client or agent to go along with it.

SueEllen you last post was remarkably close to the bone.
            Unfortunately I don't have sufficient evidence to provide to Companies House...

Comment

Originally posted by SamuelP View Post
              I would be quite happy to have someone I trust be the director and major shareholder of the company, then like you say, I could hold a position that puts me in charge of the company's finances.

SueEllen you last post was remarkably close to the bone.
              Unfortunately I don't have sufficient evidence to provide to Companies House...
              Why would the agency go along with it when they can find someone else? Clients don't care.

Also unless you are married to the major shareholder there are questions of illegality if they give you the money.

Finally if someone threatens seriously to kill or severely injure you go to the police station and report it as a crime. It can help you later especially if you need to get a restraining order against them.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuelP View Post
                Isn't that what they call tax evasion?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Maybe Samuel is happy for this trusted person to have all their profits. Nothing illegal about that.

Comment

try Mossack Fonseca

Comment

Working...
                    X