+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,870
    Thanks (Given)
    119
    Thanks (Received)
    984
    Likes (Given)
    1510
    Likes (Received)
    5007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Irrelevant, you've been terminated by the client with immediate effect, the reason given amounts to proven to be unsuitable or acted unprofessionally.



    It doesn't matter what you say, without a large lump of proof otherwise, namely a statement from each of the site people that you talked to, the client will say you acted unprofessionally by publicly criticising their approach. As someone new to the project a word to one side asking why the approach is taken and "clarifying" would have been sensible. Too late now they've pulled the pin.



    There's very little mileage you can make in that situation, the Agent will point to the fact the client told you to your face to get lost, it's at best a fine print dispute and you can't argue that you didn't know. The termination was done because you displayed a poor attitude, that's easily spun into "unprofessional conduct"



    If you want them to I'm sure they will add a gross misconduct wording to the much more polite unprofessional conduct.

    You've dropped a massive bollock in the clients eyes, there's no going back from that, all you can do since they've agreed to pay all outstanding invoices is make things worse and possibly attract attention to yourself by making it public in court.

    Walk away with a shred of dignity, your face didn't fit and they got rid.
    Nice response but you have neglected to mention one of the most important factors in the initial post, that being...

    My background: Professional contractor / senior developer with 17 years solid experience. I have a good reputation within the industry for being a pleasant and reliable worker, and as such am lucky enough to enjoy good contract extensions with very few gaps between roles.
    He's pleasant and enjoys good contract extensions... That's got to count for something surely??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #12

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    You know what NLUK? I looked a the other posts on these forums first, and when I posted, I knew you'd be the single user to act the clown as usual. Since you seem live on these forums, waiting to spout your usual unhelpful sarcasm, it makes me wonder what experience you actually have as a contractor, as you certainly don't seem to be in work, otherwise you wouldn't have the time you do during each day.

    Thanks to everyone else though for their more constructive feedback.. It's a shame these forums are made so daunting to new users by the likes of NLUK.

  3. #13

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,870
    Thanks (Given)
    119
    Thanks (Received)
    984
    Likes (Given)
    1510
    Likes (Received)
    5007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edan291 View Post
    You know what NLUK? I looked a the other posts on these forums first, and when I posted, I knew you'd be the single user to act the clown as usual. Since you seem live on these forums, waiting to spout your usual unhelpful sarcasm, it makes me wonder what experience you actually have as a contractor, as you certainly don't seem to be in work, otherwise you wouldn't have the time you do during each day.

    Thanks to everyone else though for their more constructive feedback.. It's a shame these forums are made so daunting to new users by the likes of NLUK.
    You kinda forgot I took the time to write a long response to you earlier? I saw a bit of ribbing over an amusing paragraph in a very long and complex post but I took the time to read it and respond. I don't see any unhelpful sarcasm...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #14

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    16,320
    Thanks (Given)
    169
    Thanks (Received)
    557
    Likes (Given)
    947
    Likes (Received)
    2102

    Default

    Mod note: no in the professional forums. Humour is permitted.

    For the OP. That you showed poor judgement is evidenced by the fact the client canned you. The reason the client canned you is that you showed poor judgement. That's the inescapable logic. Arguing about that point is fruitless.
    Fact check: Mostly false

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  5. #15

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,870
    Thanks (Given)
    119
    Thanks (Received)
    984
    Likes (Given)
    1510
    Likes (Received)
    5007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mod note: no in the professional forums. Humour is permitted.

    For the OP. That you showed poor judgement is evidenced by the fact the client canned you. The reason the client canned you is that you showed poor judgement. That's the inescapable logic. Arguing about that point is fruitless.
    Resistance is futile.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #16

    キツネの帽子をかぶる

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,482
    Thanks (Given)
    7
    Thanks (Received)
    651
    Likes (Given)
    619
    Likes (Received)
    2177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Resistance is futile.


    No it's not. It's Volts over Amps.


    Meditate on that one...


    Ohmmmmmmmm
    0. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. Moderator Power corrupts moderately.
    1. I have a low tolerance level for idiots.
    2. You have to earn my respect, demanding it won't work.

  7. #17

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8,747
    Thanks (Given)
    579
    Thanks (Received)
    492
    Likes (Given)
    3862
    Likes (Received)
    2230

    Default

    You have been canned as you didn't fit with the client. We have all had issues, once we have been doing this for a while, part and parcel. Obviously, it was disappointing to have professionalism questioned, chalk it up to experience and move on.

    I do view the 2 weeks disputed notice as loss of earnings because I didn't simply walk into a new contract the following day, and in fact they had already kept me waiting a week past the initial start date due to general faffing around.
    As for the notice period, if you didn't work it why should you be paid, start dates always get delayed, part and parcel.
    If you have been contracting for 17 years, like you say, you should have come across both these situations before.

    It's a shame these forums are made so daunting to new users by the likes of NLUK.
    Strewth, MTFU, its a hard world out there .

  8. #18

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,009
    Thanks (Given)
    337
    Thanks (Received)
    1101
    Likes (Given)
    3287
    Likes (Received)
    2709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Humour is permitted.
    Since when?
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.