• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous agent requesting NI Number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous agent requesting NI Number

Hi,

I've just had my last agent call me asking for my NI number for HMRC. They said they have been requested to supply all the NI numbers for all contractors they have made payments to since April 1st. Has anybody else had this?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Everybody has. It's new legislation that affects all agencies. Search google for agency reporting or try on here. It's been asked a number of times.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-requirements

Comment

Cheers for the info.....I'm not on here too often these days which is why I probably missed the discussion.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          Hi,

I've just had my last agent call me asking for my NI number for HMRC. They said they have been requested to supply all the NI numbers for all contractors they have made payments to since April 1st. Has anybody else had this?
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Everybody has. It's new legislation that affects all agencies. Search google for agency reporting or try on here. It's been asked a number of times.
          What WNLUK said. However, since you say this is your last agent, I'm going to assume you're no longer under contract with them and that you've had all your invoices paid. If so, then you could tell them to jog on. After all, the legislation covers them not you.

Better yet, tell them you can supply the information for a very reasonable hourly rate + administration fee!

--
          billybiro - Always thinking like a business.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            What WNLUK said. However, since you say this is your last agent, I'm going to assume you're no longer under contract with them and that you've had all your invoices paid. If so, then you could tell them to jog on. After all, the legislation covers them not you.

Better yet, tell them you can supply the information for a very reasonable hourly rate + administration fee!

--
            billybiro - Always thinking like a business.
            Not quite true if the contractor was there after the legislation was introduced and the agency has just been tardy. We discussed not providing thus before and it's just not a good idea. The agent can still flag you didn't provide it which brings risk.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Not quite true if the contractor was there after the legislation was introduced and the agency has just been tardy. We discussed not providing thus before and it's just not a good idea. The agent can still flag you didn't provide it which brings risk.
              Only if you admit you received an email or letter.

Just ignore all communication on the subject. Unless it is registered post it did not happen.

If you have been paid then nothing else matters. I keep getting stuff from my agency asking me to sign stuff or provide info. I ignore it all. I am getting paid.

Why are people so keen to help HMRC? Lets tie them up in red tape.

Rather than IPSE creating pointless permissions they should be encouraging everyone to request their HMRC data under the data protection act every 40 days.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Only if you admit you received an email or letter.

Just ignore all communication on the subject. Unless it is registered post it did not happen.

If you have been paid then nothing else matters. I keep getting stuff from my agency asking me to sign stuff or provide info. I ignore it all. I am getting paid.

Why are people so keen to help HMRC? Lets tie them up in red tape.

Rather than IPSE creating pointless permissions they should be encouraging everyone to request their HMRC data under the data protection act every 40 days.
                And here was me thinking I'd get jumped on by NLUK for me being the one with the "maverick" talk!

But I really like this... A work of Machiavellian genius.

Comment

Of course it is the Agent's duty so you can probably ignore his e-mail. The problem is the list they give HMRC will be incomplete, therefore the HMRC officials will now have to check you directly, because it's their duty to make sure all records are up to date. Since they're checking you, they may simply decide that they may as well do a PAYE audit at the same time.

My advice would be give them your NI number, and not be among the sample on which they decide to conduct an audit.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I would give it. Who knows, you might need their help for a job one day!
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X