• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello Everyone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I don't think they can reasonably hold you to 3 months notice at the best of times and especially not if they are paying a 30 year old £25k (no disrespect intended).
    Hey no offense taken - I know they have been getting me cheap for many years, they had me on secondment for almost 2 years on my call center salary

Comment

Sounds like you are being taken advantage of.
      I'd give 2 weeks notice and just walk...

Comment

After a quiet morning, there has been a lot of activity this afternoon. My old Project Manager (for whom I have a lot of respect) asked if I could join her and one of the directors for a meeting as the news had just hit them.

It was a good discussion and allowed me to convey why I was thinking of moving away from my current role, and it allowed them to understand that it was not based on me being unhappy (that is a driver but not the main reason).

We then got down to business and I was asked directly what they could do to keep me - to which I replied "I have made the decision to move into contracting, if the company wishes to offer me a contract then I would certainly consider it".

I've left them thinking about it, but certain more than ever that they cannot (unless commercial suicide is on their list of objectives) allow me to walk away just yet.

A stint as a contractor in my comfy pair of slippers will at least allow me to build up the warchest you talk of...

On the job hunting side, I've been put in touch with a recruiter who deals with my skillset by a contractor friend so that is looking hopeful too - will not stop looking.

Comment

Sounds like you have the right approach
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomserveBAS View Post
            After a quiet morning, there has been a lot of activity this afternoon. My old Project Manager (for whom I have a lot of respect) asked if I could join her and one of the directors for a meeting as the news had just hit them.

It was a good discussion and allowed me to convey why I was thinking of moving away from my current role, and it allowed them to understand that it was not based on me being unhappy (that is a driver but not the main reason).

We then got down to business and I was asked directly what they could do to keep me - to which I replied "I have made the decision to move into contracting, if the company wishes to offer me a contract then I would certainly consider it".

I've left them thinking about it, but certain more than ever that they cannot (unless commercial suicide is on their list of objectives) allow me to walk away just yet.

A stint as a contractor in my comfy pair of slippers will at least allow me to build up the warchest you talk of...

On the job hunting side, I've been put in touch with a recruiter who deals with my skillset by a contractor friend so that is looking hopeful too - will not stop looking.
            I can see 2 things you're going to have to watch out for. One is that you're going to find it very difficult to stay outside IR35 if they offer you a contract. The other is that they might balk at the idea of paying you contracting money compared to the 25k they were paying before. Even if they double that, that only works out about £200 a day and you don't get holidays or sick leave. You'd have to decide if that was actually worth it, (I'd suggest it isn't). This is all hypothetical until you hear what they offer though.

Comment

Yeah Simon pointed out the IR35 thing - any pointers on how to avoid this, or is it inevitable?

As for my rate, the way I see it, they pay about £350/day for a contractor off the street, I have a wealth of business knowledge plus ALL of the knowledge with the project I am currently assigned to - they can't afford not to pay me.

I need to have a think about what rate I would accept if/when they start negotiations.

I'm glad I had the discussion with the director because he knows me, knows what I bring to the business, and plus he is a major stakeholder in the project I am walking away from

Comment

If you do accept a contract with the company be careful what notice period is in there!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  If you do accept a contract with the company be careful what notice period is in there!
                  If they do offer me a contract I will probably get a legal expert to look over it with a fine tooth comb.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    It doesn't sound like he needs to watch out for the classic "switch them to a contract, then sack them without notice" since they're trying to keep him. Or do you mean he should make sure he doesn't keep the 3 month notice in his new contract?

Comment

Working...
                    X