• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax year ending. Business just starting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax year ending. Business just starting

Hi all, I'm brand new to contracting and although I have some work on the horizon I haven't done any yet and won't until the next tax year (23-24).
    I haven't even set up as a sole trader or an LLC (the choice will likely be LLC as I will have income protection payments for the whole of the tax year so I will be 'earning' even before I start contracting).
    So far I've been concentrating on getting a qualification and the completion of a required annual test. These 2 things have cost me just under £10k, paid out mostly in February 2023.
    Would it be best so set up as a sole trader before the end of 2022-2023 tax year to try to claim any of this as expenses/losses or at least get the VAT back (I don't think I will be VAT registering any time soon) or should I justy get on with the LLC set up?
    I will be using an accountant but it's hard to find anybody who will help with this unless you're already signed up with them and that's another decision to make very soon.
    Thanks for any advice you can give. I know I don't have long to get on with it.
    cheers

You can't get VAT back if you aren't VAT registered.

What you can do is recover the personal costs incurred from setting up the company for a reasonable period before it is set up.

But note that that is company expenses. Qualifications and training may not meet that definition, especially if you don't currently have a trade; basically you can only reclaim expenses for training if it is directly related to your main line of business, so for example refresher courses in a computer language you are already routinely in your work using is fine, as is purchase of tools and materials, but something unrelated, like an MBA, isn't.

You perhaps need to read through the various guides over on the right of the page. Like all newcomers to contracting, you have no idea how much you don't know.

You should also be looking for an accountant; many (not all) will give you a free initial conversation about how to progress. Alternatively start out through an umbrella like Clarity until you are confident in what you are doing.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That's great. many thanks. I am currently making my way through the guides.
      My trade is already aviation. I'm a training captain with a commercial airline but currently grounded medically. The qualification will allow me to continue training but in a simulator. The annual test is required whether I'm flying or not. It keeps me legally current on the aeroplane (737) and you're not allowed to teach what you're not qualified to do.
      Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X