• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for contractor jobs in UK as a EU citizen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for contractor jobs in UK as a EU citizen

Hi All!

This is my first post. I am asking for advices to seek for opportunities in the UK, working as a EU contractor from the EU.
    As long as I will develop working relationships, I could relocate and eventually pay for my VISA application, myself.

My situation is that I hold Italian citizenship, currently investing on a second degree that eventually would ease out a VISA application for UK in the future.

Meanwhile, I am a registered freelance in Italy, and I am here asking questions to carve out a better strategy to find meaningful contacts with companies in the UK.

I see often there are vacancies advertised as remote, but eventually are for only UK residents: that translates in a waste of time and does not convert into working relationships.

Assumed I could work as a contractor and there is already a working relationship in place, it won't be a problem to move to the UK.
    (I assume I can legally do that: I can offer services as a freelancer with fiscal residence in my native Country, and occasionally move in the UK within the boundaries of a touristic VISA).

Questions:
    • Can you tell a few criteria to select companies that are truly opened for remote roles, also for people holding EU citizenship and currently resident in the EU ?
    • Which roles are most likely to allow remote contractual collaborations ?
    • Can you give some personal advice, based on your experience, to let me appreciate which aspects of my background could be more attractive for remote roles ?
      (e.g. which types of companies, if large or small size; which types of industries may appreciate multi-disciplinary background; which roles may value interpersonal skills)
      Please see below.

If you're interested in, below a few more details about what I could offer and am seeking.

My objective:
    • work in smart-contract / fully-remote
    • possibly, part-time (but not stringent) so as to allow me pursue personal and continuous learning goals
    • engage with companies TRULY aligned sustainability values
    • salary compensation lower bound: 2K/mo in part-time ; target 350 - 550 /day (depending on roles and seniority)

I look for roles that:
    • can offer best time/compensation ratio, so that I can have more time (OR)
    • can offer best compensation package + strong match with values and fit with attitude (I am keen on innovation technology and prototyping, but working in tech can be rather sterile for me if without a purpose in environmental / social impact that is supported by a transparent business model)

My academic background is the following:
    • 3 years diploma, UX/UI and multimedia communication
    • BSc, International Development (sustainability studies, social research, project management)
    • MCA, Master in Complex Actions (Innovation management, post-specialization degree)

Plus currently acquiring MSc degree:
    • MSc, data science (quantitative skills for data-analytics, data-modelling etc.)

Experience:
    • Co-founded a tech startup and led it 5 years, as CEO and Product Officer
    • Consultancies in data-driven products at research institutes and startups, particularly in the fields of innovation management, knowledge management, knowledge discovery (e.g. worked on all aspects of UX, information architecture, graph modelling, prototyping of backend and frontend of web platforms with tech stacks as neo4j, python, redis, elasticsearch), on the whole about 7 years
    • International development sector, with roles in ICT4D (ICT for development projects); some tasks include: advised ministries and NGOs, developed reports for stakeholder and risk management, coached teams, community management
    • Consultancies in visual communication, 3 years, including curating visual assets for a company in luxury and space generating sales of 100M (but it was many years ago) + coached in design thinking, lean startup
    Certifications:
    • Neo4j professional
    Software / stack I can use well:
    • wolfram mathematica
    • python / scientific python
    • neo4j
    • Adobe Photoshop, InDesign + Figma
    • google sheets / docs
    • scripting for data-mining
    • data-visualisation tools
    Other I used and can manage to use:
    • python flask
    • vue.js
    • jquery
    • Adobe Premiere
    • other data-visualisation tools
    Languages:
    • fluent/bilingual in English and Italian
    • Portuguese (Conversational)
    • French, Spanish (reading working proficiency)

Preferences:
    • I like to work with scientists, and I like to engage people who are not necessarily scientists. i like to explain things.
    • I like project management as well as prototyping.
    • If I need to work with data, I prefer the part of data-exploration, modelling and analytics.
    • I prefer project management or product management, to prototyping or UX research (but sometimes I enjoy them equivalently);
      I fairly prefer prototyping to data-engineering; I strongly prefer prototyping to full-stack dev.
    • I am open to any role I can deepen valuable skills in data-analytics or data-management or stakeholders engagement (e.g. applied to trends, time-series, portfolios, ESG metrics) on the opportunity of sustainable fintech

Super thanks for your time and tips!

Didn't read it all but a few starters for 10.

For a vast majority of roles the agent won't deal with anything but a UK LTD company.

Even though work is advertised as remote it means remote from the office i.e. WFH. Not remote in a different country. The requirement to attend the clients office for the odd day here and there is coming back quickly so 100% remote is going to start dwindling. Even if a client is open to the idea you'll be up against many 100's of very experienced UK based contractors.

The work you can do on a Tourist Visa is very limited and attending site as mandated by the client is unlikely to meet the criteria. It might touch on it, attending interviews, sign contracts, deliver training but for all the other general work then it's a no. It's not suitable for what you want.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X