• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance

Hi,

I was wondering if recent self-harm could be a disqualifying factor for SC clearance for a job which involves software engineering at a tech company?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by jolio View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if recent self-harm could be a disqualifying factor for SC clearance for a job which involves software engineering at a tech company?

Thanks in advance!
    Personally I doubt it, but the agency might not be as forgiving if they find out.

Anyway, read: Security Clearance for IT Contractors | Contractor UK
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Personally I doubt it, but the agency might not be as forgiving if they find out.

Anyway, read: Security Clearance for IT Contractors | Contractor UK
      So you mean the agency as in the listX sponsor? Not UKSV?

Comment

Different government bodies have different risk assessments for vetting for their departments and it is your vetting officer who has the final say in the matter for the risk assessment.

Just be honest if they ask about it on the form and don't go around in a long circle trying to justify why it occurred, be concise and on point and keep it to a paragraph.

And whatever you DO NOT TALK TO YOUR AGENCY ABOUT VETTING I can't keep saying this enough to everyone as they are not security cleared personel who are designated to handle such information in fact on the contrary they will use and take advantage of any personal information you share with them, so deal with vetting directly and not through your agency.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
          Different government bodies have different risk assessments for vetting for their departments and it is your vetting officer who has the final say in the matter for the risk assessment.

Just be honest if they ask about it on the form and don't go around in a long circle trying to justify why it occurred, be concise and on point and keep it to a paragraph.

And whatever you DO NOT TALK TO YOUR AGENCY ABOUT VETTING I can't keep saying this enough to everyone as they are not security cleared personel who are designated to handle such information in fact on the contrary they will use and take advantage of any personal information you share with them, so deal with vetting directly and not through your agency.
          When you refer to an 'agency' are you referring to UKSV (United Kingdom Security Vetting) or the ListX/sponsor company?

Also, I have a rather questionable past from when i was younger with minor crimes but i thought it would be best explaining them and why I had a completely different mindset, is it worth going into detail about this and explaining a bit about my background?

I heard in the US version they look to see if an individual has mitigated the risk imposed by his past, that leads me to believe that possibly explaining my past in a section called "other information" may be the best option?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Have you had a read of this thread? It's a bit long but 90% of your questions are covered on the first page. It's also why it's a sticky, so we don't have to keep answering the same old questions...

But to answer your immediate questions, read the form and answer the questions. It tells you how to expand on them if necessary, and what they do to keep personal stuff hidden.

It does no harm to remember what they are trying to do: basically, can you be trusted, can you be coerced, can you be blackmailed.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X