• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with tax please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Originally posted by LisaDodgyUmbrella View Post
    Or he's come across a really dodgy umbrella company
    You mean there are some that aren't?
    FTFY
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You mean there are some that aren't?
      I can think of at least one NLUK
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        I can think of at least one NLUK
        That umbrella is fine, the owner of the company however is decidedly dodgy.

And her brother even worse
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi sorry if I haven't been to clear , they take a cut and pay me gross I only had 3 weeks work on this particular job. I am constantly in and out of work and I always sign on between as it is my proof of whereabouts for my security vetting, I just want to know what are the benefits of having a ltd company and how do go about paying NI , and what things can I claim for to reduce my tax bill , I work away from home and use my own transport daily for work , maybe there was a misunderstanding and the thought I already have a ltd company , can u have a Ltd company and still claim jsa while out of work ?

Comment

Originally posted by ajk View Post
            Hi sorry if I haven't been to clear , they take a cut and pay me gross I only had 3 weeks work on this particular job. I am constantly in and out of work and I always sign on between as it is my proof of whereabouts for my security vetting, I just want to know what are the benefits of having a ltd company and how do go about paying NI , and what things can I claim for to reduce my tax bill , I work away from home and use my own transport daily for work , maybe there was a misunderstanding and the thought I already have a ltd company , can u have a Ltd company and still claim jsa while out of work ?
            An umbrella company is ideal for 3 weeks work as I have used an umbrella in the UK for 2 weeks work but then Ive used the same brolly for a years work. Umbrella companies charge by the week and not by the month as on the continent.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              That umbrella is fine, the owner of the company however is decidedly dodgy.

And her brother even worse

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by ajk View Post
                First things first - leave the umbrella company that you are with - they are taking money from you for nothing! They have taken a cut of the contract and left you to sort out your own tax - an umbrella company's role is to account for your tax through PAYE. Secondly have a read up on IR35 and see what your status is likely to be - there are financial benefits to working through your own Ltd Co if you are outside IR35 but, if you are inside, your tax will be payable through PAYE regardless of whether you have your own company or work with an umbrella company. You may be entitled to claim tax relief on your travel costs and other things whether you work through a Ltd or an umbrella - there are quite a few guides on here that will give you an insight into what can and cannot be claimed and under what circumstances.

With regard to JSA, I am not 100% sure if you would be entitled but don't you have to be 'available for work'? If that is the case then I am not sure you would be able to make that claim as you would be running a business.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  First things first - leave the umbrella company that you are with - they are taking money from you for nothing! They have taken a cut of the contract and left you to sort out your own tax - an umbrella company's role is to account for your tax through PAYE. Secondly have a read up on IR35 and see what your status is likely to be - there are financial benefits to working through your own Ltd Co if you are outside IR35 but, if you are inside, your tax will be payable through PAYE regardless of whether you have your own company or work with an umbrella company.
                  No doubt umbrella companies like to use IR35 as a marketing tool but I have always considered the "service" is the ability to contract with an employer/agency that will only do business with a Ltd Co. and even if that's all they do it's still a service - the OP would not have a contract otherwise.

If it really is the case that the OP is being paid gross then would he be better off declaring himself self-employed? More favourable tax position than PAYE, and less hassle than running a Ltd Co. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                    No doubt umbrella companies like to use IR35 as a marketing tool but I have always considered the "service" is the ability to contract with an employer/agency that will only do business with a Ltd Co. and even if that's all they do it's still a service - the OP would not have a contract otherwise.

If it really is the case that the OP is being paid gross then would he be better off declaring himself self-employed? More favourable tax position than PAYE, and less hassle than running a Ltd Co. ?
                    Didn't OP say he is a through an agency so the Self Employed option won't fly.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WNLUKS - if the OP is working through an agency he won't be permitted to work as a sole trader

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X