• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New umbrella company required!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deductions / statutory benefits / Crystal Umbrella

Hi all, just wondering if anybody went down the tribunal / legal route in the end or managed to claim anything back on unlawful deductions?

After reading this thread I've just noticed CrystalUmbrella are also making deductions as part of 'additional required contributions' which consist of employers NI and 'statutory benefits'. If you don't ever receive any statutory benefits from them, how can they legally justify keeping this money they have deducted? They are refusing to refund anything.

I'd definitely avoid Crystal Umbrella as have had no end of issues in 4 years - including pension payment errors and most recently 'system errors' meaning very late pay, no payslips, and subsequently messed up tax. This week I was even copied into invoices about another contractor showing all their day rates. Complete mess of a company.

Comment

Originally posted by elouise View Post
      After reading this thread I've just noticed CrystalUmbrella are also making deductions as part of 'additional required contributions' which consist of employers NI and 'statutory benefits'. If you don't ever receive any statutory benefits from them, how can they legally justify keeping this money they have deducted? They are refusing to refund anything.
      elouise as the umbrella company is your "employer" they are not allowed to make deductions to cover standard statutory rights such as sick pay, or maternity / paternity pay. This is something they must cover... if the deductions are being made and you are employed under a contract of employment (COE) then this could be perceived as unlawful deduction of earnings. You will need to look closely at their explanations and make sure you check your COE.

Comment

Last edited by TykeMerc; 6 May 2016, 13:10. Reason: Spammer posts removed by mods.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Last edited by TykeMerc; Today at 14:10. Reason: Spammer posts removed by mods.
          Hacked? Or is TM a sockie??
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Or both

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Last edited by northernladuk; 6 May 2016, 14:33.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                No. He responded to a spammer saying they had been reported. Mods removed the spammer and then removed the spammers name from tykes post. Nothing untoward I am afraid.
                Actually I edited it out as no longer needed. Mods had scraped the spammers scum off the threads so the name was irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                X