• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New umbrella company required!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's totally inexcusable if that's the case
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

One advantage of being with Parasol, which I'm sure they won't remind you of too often, is that you are an employee and therefore protected by employment law. If you think you have a valid case then maybe consider a formal complaint to Parasol and on to employment tribunal if necessary. In my case I'll be voting with my feet very soon, as will many others I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Yehudi View Post
        In my case I'll be voting with my feet very soon, as will many others I'm sure.
        I couldn't agree more
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Yehudi View Post
          One advantage of being with Parasol, which I'm sure they won't remind you of too often, is that you are an employee and therefore protected by employment law. If you think you have a valid case then maybe consider a formal complaint to Parasol and on to employment tribunal if necessary. In my case I'll be voting with my feet very soon, as will many others I'm sure.
          Interesting point about your rights as an employee, though hopefully it wont come to that. I've entered into dialogue with parasol to try and resolve things. I had been pretty pleased with their service until their payslips changed to make them "easier to understand". I think the AWR rules are having a financial impact on umbrella companies- I notice DANBRO have put up their margin from £22 to £28 recently, but at least they are upfront and honest about it!
          My contract has just been extended but the only way I can see myself staying with parasol is if I receive some sort of reimbursement for these hidden charges, and know exactly what I'll be charged in future. I've been contemplating going limited company for a while and this could be the catalyst for me to take the plunge.

Comment

I'm thinking the same thing in terms of going LTD
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by jet spanner View Post
              I think the AWR rules are having a financial impact on umbrella companies
              Ah, a realisation on a similar level to the toilet habits of bears in woods...

I blogged that point when AWR first appeared on the horizon, that it will cost everyone more to meet its demands but the only people paying, directly or indirectly, will be the workers.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thing is though it's one thing to be upfront about these costs to customers and another thing to hide them and be secretive about doing so. How many of their current customers might have chosen different umbrellas based on these findings I wonder
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

I had been pretty pleased with their service until their payslips changed to make them "easier to understand". I think the AWR rules are having a financial impact on umbrella companies- I notice DANBRO have put up their margin from £22 to £28 recently, but at least they are upfront and honest about it!
                  My contract has just been extended but the only way I can see myself staying with parasol is if I receive some sort of reimbursement for these hidden charges, and know exactly what I'll be charged in future.
                  What's the upshot of your discussions with Parasol so far? Have they admitted that they have indeed been taking money above & beyond the agreed feeds? ... and if so, is their excuse that it's to cover additional employment overheads, computer error (ha!) ...?

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
                    What's the upshot of your discussions with Parasol so far? Have they admitted that they have indeed been taking money above & beyond the agreed feeds? ... and if so, is their excuse that it's to cover additional employment overheads, computer error (ha!) ...?
                    Well their claim is that it is part of "the companys payroll costs" as stipulated in clause 3.5 of my contract of employment:

3.5 The amount of Commission will be calculated based on the income received by the Company from the Client in respect of any assignment that you undertake, after deducting the Company‟s Payroll Costs, profit margin and any advance payment of PBA (see Clause 3.3). Commission will only be paid once the Company has received payment from the Client.

I'm no lawyer but I dont see how that gives them the right to literally double their margin

Comment

Well their claim is that it is part of "the companys payroll costs" as stipulated in clause 3.5 of my contract of employment:

3.5 The amount of Commission will be calculated based on the income received by the Company from the Client in respect of any assignment that you undertake, after deducting the Company‟s Payroll Costs, profit margin and any advance payment of PBA (see Clause 3.3). Commission will only be paid once the Company has received payment from the Client.
                      OK, let's hear it then, Steve@Parasol. Is it true that you're levying additional charges above & beyond the standard weekly/monthly fee? If so, how is it calculated and how is it justified?

You don't have to talk specific to jet spanner's case or indeed to any individual. You must have a standard calculation that you apply here. If you feel that Parasol have done nothing wrong and you're more than happy to be open about your charges/fees, you'd have no qualms of explaining this here on this forum for us all to see. In fact you'd be more-than-happy to take this opportunity ...

Comment

Working...
                      X