• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disguised remuneration / loan charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disguised remuneration / loan charge

Hello everyone. I’ve been sent a large tax bill for 2016-2018. I was with a dodgy umbrella company who paid me in ‘loans’ for 18 months which later HMRC decided was a form of tax avoidance scheme (disguised remuneration/ loan charge). Can I prove to HRMC how much tax I owe (it certainly is not the amount they said!) without tax solicitor? I have a P45, P60, some payslips to bring the £ down? I am happy get legal help but not sure if I have a case?

I am waiting for HMRC to get back to me with their calculations and go from there.

You best post your question in the https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-scheme-enquiries/ forum - as this isn't the place for it.

But the reality is - HMRC will be wanting tax on the total the agency paid to the "umbrella" for the work you did so it's likely to be a fairly accurate estimate.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
    X