• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella or not to Umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post

Thanks - yes, that's the case here. I do (at least for now) have other work coming into my Ltd Company so I already have the overhead of keeping it going anyway.

I'm reluctant to add an Umbrella too, unless the savings from salary sacrifice are meaningful enough to cover the Umbrella margin and the inconvenience of having yet another party between me and my income.
    The savings from an umbrella kick in once you are putting more than about £700 a month into your pension. After that you are putting an 16.3% compared to your current deemed payments approach.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The savings from an umbrella kick in once you are putting more than about £700 a month into your pension. After that you are putting an 16.3% compared to your current deemed payments approach.
      Thanks eek - that's very useful. I'm hoping to max out on pensions so will be much more than £700. It would be great if you get a chance to show your working, please?

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post

Thanks eek - that's very useful. I'm hoping to max out on pensions so will be much more than £700. It would be great if you get a chance to show your working, please?
        Employer NI 13.8%
        Apprenticeship Levy 0.5%
        Employee NI (higher income rate) 2%

Umbrella fee is £100. and 100/0.163=£613

So the maths is wrong but not in the wrong direction and the umbrella fee is covered by the first £613 put in the pension pot. After that everything extra put into the pension pot will be 16.3% more than it would otherwise be.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Brilliant - many thanks

Comment

Working...
          X