• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant Umbrella - Pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant Umbrella - Pension

Hello,

Newbie to contracting here and due to start my first assignment in the next couple of weeks.

I have just spoken to Giant regarding my pension and want to pay £1k a month into my pension plan. The lady at giant said that I could only pay 4% (as standard) via the payroll run everymonth and any additional contributions would need to be paid manually via the pension providers portal.

Just wanted to sense check this was the case? In all honesty it felt like she wasn't really listening to my question.

Thanks,

Cam

Originally posted by Cameron1590 View Post
    Hello,

Newbie to contracting here and due to start my first assignment in the next couple of weeks.

I have just spoken to Giant regarding my pension and want to pay £1k a month into my pension plan. The lady at giant said that I could only pay 4% (as standard) via the payroll run everymonth and any additional contributions would need to be paid manually via the pension providers portal.

Just wanted to sense check this was the case? In all honesty it felt like she wasn't really listening to my question.

Thanks,

Cam
    She clearly wasn't. Go back and ask them how you can make a fixed pension contribution via salary sacrifice...

Because literally the only advantage an umbrella offers over agency payroll is salary sacrifice into a pension.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron1590 View Post
      Hello,

Thanks,

Cam
      Some umbrellas refuse to do a fixed amount and will only do a % of your income per payslip, meaning the amount into your pension changes each time.

No idea why they'd choose 4%. Brollys do have to pay you a NMW, but everything above that should be able to be pensionable.

Comment

Working...
      X