• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Agency Umbrella PSL's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruitment Agency Umbrella PSL's

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...ning_quit.html

Useful to see both sides here......This has been discussed many times by others who want to use their own.

Surely PSL's help limit the dodgy pay schemes ? or is it restrictive practices to choose your employer and they should say if they are getting kick backs.
    I think agencies should be transparent about how their PSL is put together and any payments.

There is even a petition https://www.change.org/p/allow-contr...pany-they-want

I think it depends on how limitng the PSL is.

If it's "anyone FCSA* registered" then, whilst not perfect, it does allow some decent options. If it's just "these three companies" then I'm less inclined to think it's a good idea.

Having a PSL for umbrellas is nothing like having a PSL for stationery or car hire or hotels. The financial risk lies with the contractor and the agency doesn't, happy to be corrected, have any duty of care to ensure that the contractor isn't being an idiot with their money.

*Or is it FSCA, I always get it mixed up

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If it's "anyone FCSA* registered" then, whilst not perfect, it does allow some decent options. If it's just "these three companies" then I'm less inclined to think it's a good idea.

Having a PSL for umbrellas is nothing like having a PSL for stationery or car hire or hotels. The financial risk lies with the contractor and the agency doesn't, happy to be corrected, have any duty of care to ensure that the contractor isn't being an idiot with their money.

Depends on the type of fraud being committed.

mini umbrella firms make most of their “profit” via VAT fraud and that would be recovered from an agency with menace by customs..

So it’s not true that the risk of fraud sits with the worker - it doesn’t
      Last edited by eek; 25 May 2022, 20:13.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I ran an Approved Supplier List since the Finance Act 2007 was introduced. I believe it still exists.
        • It helped protect us (and workers) from any MSC liability
        • Protected contractors from getting hooked up on the 85% schemes
        • Stopped the squabbling from brollies trying to develop business with individual consultants.
        Towards the end I would only tender FCSA accredited firms which reduced my compliance effort.

50 signatures out of 4.3m flexible workers in the UK probably gives you an idea of what an insignificant issue this is.
        https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I've been in this situation twice:
          • One where I was told to pick from a list of six, I said can I use my own they said yes
          • One where I was told you have to use this single umbrella company, I said no and walked
          In the case of the latter I tried to get a reason as to why they would only work with that single firm but never got a stright answer, I beleive there is a small chance that if it goes sour the client can be on the foot for HMRC, but surely the bigger risk always lies with the worker
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I've been in this situation twice:
            • One where I was told to pick from a list of six, I said can I use my own they said yes
            • One where I was told you have to use this single umbrella company, I said no and walked
            In the case of the latter I tried to get a reason as to why they would only work with that single firm but never got a stright answer, I beleive there is a small chance that if it goes sour the client can be on the foot for HMRC, but surely the bigger risk always lies with the worker
            A single brollie does not seem credible - assuming there is a big affiliate deal going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
              I ran an Approved Supplier List since the Finance Act 2007 was introduced. I believe it still exists.
              • It helped protect us (and workers) from any MSC liability
              • Protected contractors from getting hooked up on the 85% schemes
              • Stopped the squabbling from brollies trying to develop business with individual consultants.
              Towards the end I would only tender FCSA accredited firms which reduced my compliance effort.

50 signatures out of 4.3m flexible workers in the UK probably gives you an idea of what an insignificant issue this is.
              That is good reason why it can be a good thing. Good point otherwise individual consultants have their own deals on the side. Not that I am sure this would ever happen............

Comment

Working...
              X