• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Code Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Code Change

I'm on an inside-IR35 contract through Paystream and just had a tax code change notification switching from 1257L to 819L. Is there any reason my tax code would change like that near the start of the tax year?

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
    I'm on an inside-IR35 contract through Paystream and just had a tax code change notification switching from 1257L to 819L. Is there any reason my tax code would change like that near the start of the tax year?
    HMRC think you've paid the incorrect amount of tax for last year and are taking the money via PAYE.

The fixes are to check your personal tax account at HMRC and do you tax return ASAP...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Take a look at your personal tax account as eek says - they estimated my income really high due to me getting paid for March and April in April. They are restricting your allowance - possible reasons -
      They think you owe tax
      They think you will earn over 100K
      They think you have some taxable benefits
      Their system has done something stupid on an apparently random basis

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
        Log into your HMRC account and it will explain how it has been calculated
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Take a look at your personal tax account as eek says - they estimated my income really high due to me getting paid for March and April in April. They are restricting your allowance - possible reasons -
          They think you owe tax
          They think you will earn over 100K
          They think you have some taxable benefits
          Their system has done something stupid on an apparently random basis
          As much as I love to kick HMRC when the opportunity arises, this last one rarely happens, it may have bad data going in either from your SA or your umbrellas PAYE return, but I have found their calulcations are usually spot on

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Log into your HMRC account and it will explain how it has been calculated
            And you can change it.

Though make sure you do self assessment to ensure you pay or can claim back the right amount of tax.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And you can change it.

Though make sure you do self assessment to ensure you pay or can claim back the right amount of tax.
              You can change the amount you think you might be paid under PAYE in the coming year, the other bits you can't change

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

As much as I love to kick HMRC when the opportunity arises, this last one rarely happens, it may have bad data going in either from your SA or your umbrellas PAYE return, but I have found their calulcations are usually spot on
                Fair point - now I think of that I haven't had that since the advent of RTI.

Comment

Working...
                X